What's new

A-Spec sitting higher at the front

Dan Robinson

Grand High Plumber
Reaction score
Car
06 EX Tourer i-CTDI
Well, after seeing some beautifully poised members' cars (JavJav, Muitsap, Discodave and Govetec) recently, as well as talking to a few other members. the fact that my A-Spec is sitting higher at the front by around 15mm (from memory) is starting to annoy me a bit.

The handling is great. The ride comfort is fine (accepting it is going to be a little harsher than the stock setup).

It is just this bizarre thing where the front end is riding that little bit higher than the rear.

considering that there is a dirty great diesel block sitting over the front end, and nothing much more than air over the back is a little odd. I have mentally put it down to Honda allowing more movement under breaking and steering; but only to stop me getting some bug cargo straps from Screwfix and hunkering the damn thing down myself :lol:

I wondering how many other's using A-spec have noticed this (I know of a couple). I don't remember Faddy's sitting like this though. Mine has done it since the day it was fitted - but I didn't mention it thinking that it would settle over the first few K miles.

Now this isn't a problem that makes me want to change. Just something I need to know if this is normal, or something to be adjusted. if that is the case, then roll on the next HH meet :lol:

I don't think there's much to adjust mate to be honest. I'd guess that if it wasn't installed correctly then there'd be knocks and bangs when driving etc.

Dan check this out...

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12058969

I think it's supposed to be like that... If it annoys u a lot then sell them and get another adjustable set up :) they will sell easily any oem optional part sells like hot cakes :)

I'm sure it will setlle down, iirc the front spring rates 1/3 more than the rears .

Cheers for the link.

It is good that there isn't a problem; and I am not looking for much more droppy - I have grated the front a couple of times as it is :lol: It was more a case of evening up the look. When it was fitted the lads at HH spent more time checking and loading than they did fitting in the first place, so I was happy in that respect. It does seem an odd design aesthetically speaking? I wonder what the difference in weight distribution is between a saloon and a tourer?

I always thought my Tourer was fairly evenly balanced with a slight bias toward the front.

I will try and get some pics over the weekend - it is more noticeable from certain angles.

Perhaps I will have to teach the missus what way to park out the front of the house so that I don't notice it when I get home :lol:

They've had 5/6 months and the better part of 20K, so I would have thought that any bedding would have happened by now. I know the Diesel is 70Kg heavier, but that surely would mean lower front?

If that is the way they are to be then I am fine - as long as there ain't a problem! It is annoying from a design point of view - but the handling difference between these and stock makes enough of a difference for me to live with it.

I am not likely to spend any more on that sort of thing with this car - is has too many miles and I would rather spend the money of preventative maintenance - part of the reason for changing the suspension in the first place.

The odd light upgrade and some paint work is it I think. I mean, how far can you go :lol:?

Beemers sit lower at the rear too if thats any help :) How many miles you put on them, they do settle a fair bit with time.

Pretty sure all the settling has been done by now bud :lol:

It has to be to cover braking and cornering; and perhaps speed humps.

Repeat after me....

20k should have them sorted really, hmmmm....i'm not familiar with these myself but would imagine a lower front stance or atleast even-ish. have you noticed any drop on the front since having them

Not really. ***uming they are supposed to be like this HH did a good job of installing it. My recent laser alignment showed everything was pretty much spot on - I think one setting needed adjusting and that was on the rears.

Just had a quick look on the tsx forums a few peeps think they sit high on the front, maybe they are like that? As you know each one differs slightly in build and install, thats why the give an estimate drop.

You could change the front springs maybe, but its probably not worth it.
You sure its not some old skool back boiler you got stowed in the boot :p

Have you been able to compare your ride height with that of another tourer on A spec suspension instead of comparing it to just saloons on the same set-up?

While you do have a heavy diesel block up front your tourer does also have a heavy butt sticking out the back, and even if the boot was empty it would still add considerably more weight onto the back springs, likely more than the extra 70 kgs of having the diesel block up front.

Obviously the slight uneven look bugs you but i'd wait till you get chance to compare it to another tourer on the same set-up before making an expensive decisions.

Matt

Dan sell them buddy,get a bc racing coilovers setup done,then slammed it,......VIP TOURER...THARAAAAAA

Dan who fitted the suspension, was it HH? If so I would just have a quick chat with them and ask for there opinion as they will know exactly what is the correct riding position

If I ever had a tourer it would be like this.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2939069

That guy imported a 4wd k24 wagon from Japan, they only come in autos which suck but an all wheel drive tourer would still be sweet. He put a video on YouTube sliding about in the snow.

Dan your tourer wouldn't that impractical like this coz you've still got your tranny work horse. Do it do it!

Dan this might have been said but did hh load the car with 5 people in then tighten the bushes

It'ts nothing to do with bedding them in mate, it's the coffins in the back of your hearse causing it.

Only when I die.

:lol:

yeah hh fitted it at the big meet last year with the biggest members we could find... think it was me chadders, Ged and a couple others.

As you know Dan mine is exactly the same and it bugs me big style.

I so nearly went KW (bc racing / tein dont do solution for tourer) but thought no I will be sensible and go a spec. The ride is better than eibach with stock springs but looks so much worse.

I will measure the difference at the weekend but spoke to some people today who confirmed it designed like that. Some Audi and beemers have the same set up for better weight transfer under heaving braking / cambered surfaces.

Diesel and Petrol front sets should be the same no?

But yeah Andy it is bugging me a little, but no where near enough to think of changing - especially after my mishap in the van today :(.

Hey perhaps we are just picky mate :lol:

Dan as I mentioned at the weekend mine where the same, about a 3 finger gap front, 1.5 finger gap rear. This is well reported on the TSX forum and a standard feature...lol

I also found the rear very harsh and seemed to get very unsettled on uneven roads at speed.

I know a member a while back fitted some eibach to his aspec, not sure of the outcome.

Sorry forgot to mention Fahad is running the older aspec which is softer, hence why his has drop lower at the front.

My invoices are at the accountants at the moment. They must have found their way into the company books ;).

As for revised struts - I ***ume that the whole kit was fitted? Perhaps a call to HH tomorrow? They might be able to confirm - don't want to waste their time though.

For those that don't know, I have spoken to CJ, Andy and Dave about this before, and started this thread partly to help those thinking of A-Spec as an option. Nothing sinister, but it is not the cheapest solution so might not be for everyone.

Thankfully it's not too big a trade off as long as there is a proper design reason for it.

It will always bug me, but at least I can go round corners without looking like I am driving a fricking Humvee :lol:

Or Chrysler Lebrarion ;).

I agree with CJ, the ASpec should not need camber adjustment so long as you have the revised camber arms. In my case I did not and had to fit adjustable camber arms. I dont think they are a bad price when you look at it, fully tuned suspension (struts and springs) and Honda reliability.

The one thing that did bother me was the drop at the front. However, I have just moved over to Tein CST and it seems I now have the opposite, the rear will not drop as much as the front :( , so I am sitting slightly higher at the back than I was with ASpec, but the front can be slammed, but this is not the look I want.

Over the next month or so I am going to try to gather all the info I know about the ASpec setup, drop etc and do a comparison with various other suspension Tein CST and SS (if govtec will let me have a go in his car :D ).

I never thought about the old vs new A spec, maybe that's why mine sits well at the front too.. Would be good to drive another diesel with the newer A Spec to compare differences.

Dave - wouldn't it be funny if you did all that research and then found the optimum setting for your coillies... only to realise they're exactly the same as the A Spec you replaced them with :D

You're welcome to try my coffin carrier next time you're my way. :D

Fahad that might be the case, but the main point was to improve the ride quality over the ASpec, at the moment the car is sitting lower and the comfort is better than stock suspension, so wife is happy.

I think on the next meet we should all swap cars and try the different suspension setups, this is probably the only real way to do a true comparison.