What's new

ABS Sensor Check

stonking

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen 2.2 Exc
Hi, I am probably going to buy a second hand ABS sensor. Can anyone tell me how to check it before I install it?

Thanks

Stephen

Hi, I am probably going to buy a second hand ABS sensor. Can anyone tell me how to check it before I install it?

Thanks

Stephen
Im not 100% but i would say it would have a certain resistance reading when tested with a Multimeter.

,,,You would obviously need to know what this certain resistance actually is. And you'll also need an ohmeter/multimeter - ***uming you have, then measure the resistance of one of your other (working) sensors and check that the secondhand one is a similar value.

F6HAD:- I do not understand your message.
Jon_G:- Good thinking.
Brett :- Agreed. What with Jon_G's message I might have a way forward.

Thanks to all.

I am basically concurring with Jon's post.

I agree too ;).

I agree too ;).
Just to let you all, I brought a second hand one from a breakers yard (be sure you get the correct one as each wheel has it's own version). I had to use a drill to get the old one out plus clean it up a bit before the new one fitted. Plugged it in and turned the car on. All the warning lights still on. Backed the car up and drove it about 20 m and the lights went out and so far have stayed out.

Thanks for alla the advice

Stephen

I hope this isn't a stupid question (!) but if you have to drill the old one out, then how did the breakers yard get the one off theirs without damaging it?

I hope this isn't a stupid question (!) but if you have to drill the old one out, then how did the breakers yard get the one off theirs without damaging it?
Not a stupid question. This is the truth, I contacted about 15 people breaking Accords via EBAY plus others via 247 etc. Various people came back to me and said they had them. Working from the cheapest up I said OK I would buy it. 3 of the people I spoke to then went and tried to remove them and broke them. I went to a breaker who was about 25 miles from me who said he had 3 still on the cars. I said I am coming over. My intention was that if he broke 2 I would rather buy the 3rd one, hub and all off him. I really needed one to pass the MOT next week. As it was he removed the bolt, took hold of the flange of the sensor and lifted and it just slipped out. Came out very easily. I have no idea why. It would not slip into the hole in my hub, hence the cleaning out that I needed to do. Maybe its oxidation. The car he took it off of looked the same as mine, 2004 Accord, but it had no number plate so I cannot say.

Regards

Steven was it taken from the same wheel as your cars broken one.

Steven was it taken from the same wheel as your cars broken one.
Oh yes. He took it from the rear right. The sensors are different and on the wire they are marked with the last two numbers on an accord like mine for a rear right is 10 I think and a left is 11 or the other way around. I can climb under and confirm if anyone needs to know.

Regards

Stephen

Steven have you managed to fit the sencor yet by cleaning the old one out yet.
If not the only thing I can think of there differant for facelift and pre facelift.
Or saloon and tourer if not I'm lost why it won't fit.

Steven have you managed to fit the sencor yet by cleaning the old one out yet.
If not the only thing I can think of there differant for facelift and pre facelift.
Or saloon and tourer if not I'm lost why it won't fit.
Yes It is fitted. Probably just minor oxidation. Fitted and still working fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Yes It is fitted. Probably just minor oxidation. Fitted and still working fine.

Thanks for all the help.
Great stuff Willsher thanks for the feedback

I think its just pot luck as I also remember ringing around (and there's a lot of jap breakers in the West Yorks area). Anyone who had one said they would only sell the complete hub as it's very common for them to break.

Also, the rear left and right sensors are actually the same, but the mounting plates are different. I guess if you couldn't get the correct side, you could buy the wrong side and then just get some pliers and trasnfer the little mounting plates for the wiring over.

I had to have an ABS sensor replaced after getting a wheel bearing changed. Apparently they break in most cases (which mine did when they removed the sensor) so anyone who needs a wheel bearing done needs to factor in for this as well.

Not on the back you can remove hub without touching sensor. As Faddy said im certain the rears are interchangeable just need bracket swapping over.