What's new

Accord 2.2 i-ctdi 2004 problem

morpheous87

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 7
Hey,

I have a strange (at least for me) problem with my Accord 2.2 i-ctdi 2004. When it's running at almost full revs, some glitch appears. The car starts loosing power and pulling hard, like it's running out of fuel.
First it seems as fuel or air problem. When I bought the car I saw that the exhaust manifold was cracked. So my first job was to replace it with a new one. The problem still exists. It appears only when the car is very hard pushed to accelerate. For example: 1st gear full power, 2nd full power (3,5k-4k revs), and when on 3rd and the revs are ~3k it starts shaking and loosing power. It continue till I take off my leg from the gas pedal and the car enter in middle revs ~2. Then I can start pulling again hard, and the problem may appear or not. There is no 100% sure pattern reproducing the glitch. But it's almost the same as I explained, may differ the gear or the revs, but something like this. It could appear on 2nd, or 3rd. Never tried on 4th because the speed is too much on 4th full revs to make experiments :)

Also sometimes it appears when starting to pass some car: For example I'm on 4th/5th and I get one or two gears down to get high revs so I can pass the car, again on the same revs ( between 3k-4k) the glitch appears. And the worst - sometimes it appears sometimes not :)

So now I think about the air flow. Could it be a faulty EGR valve? But if it's an EGR valve, I think it should have problems with acceleration right after I push hard and not only when high revs reached? My second shot is catalytic converter. Could it be dirty and because of it the exhaust air can't get away as fast as expected? It sounds reasonable, because of the high revs, when the exhaust gasses are with most density...
Here comes my next question: I'm gonna try to clean or replace the EGR valve first. But I expect the glitch to remain after that. So the next will be the removal of the catalytic converter. Here I'm not so sure:
1. The catalytic converters are two: one precat and the main one. Should I remove both? I know you will advice me to take them out of the car and try cleaning them with some spays and pressured water. I prefer to remove them if can.
2. If I remove the converters, what consicuenses should I expect? Fist, are there any sensors that looking for the converters? Should I disable them in the car's ECU if any? Can I "lie" the ECU that everything is OK although the converters are removed? Will the removed converter affect the fuel mapping?
3. Any possibility this to be because of bad fuel filter?

P.S. don't worry about the exhaust gas flow. The car is not in the UK and if can be not so "green" :)

Fuel filter.
Replace it with a genuine honda filter.

I bet £10 internet pounds that this is your problem

I agree with Adam... I had the exact same thought while reading the fault description. The fuel filter MUST be the original Honda unit, made by Bosch with part number ending in 442. Otherwise I'd consider the air filter to be a possible issue that wouldn't hurt to replace (again, the original Honda filter would be best).

If the problem persists, I would not remove the cat or guess what the fault might be... you should get some proper diagnostics done to identify the exact problem area.

Ok, agreed. First to do: change the fuel filter with original one and probably the air filter too. To be 100% they are not problematic. This is the easiest thing to do first.

Fuel filter isnt easy..i would highly suggest you read the DIY before you start and it can be tricky.

Its not easy but im 99% sure this is your issue.

The reason your only seeing it at highrevs in higher gears is the fuel demand is much greater.

Fuel filter and blank off your EGR and remap, problem solved.