What's new

Accord 2.2 i dtec Type S - Appalling mpg figures

JensenA

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer Type S i-dtec
Ive just bought a 2010 Accord i dtec Type S Tourer, and the mpg figures are appalling. Driving like a very nervous Miss Daisy suffering from speed phobia, I'm struggling to achieve 40mpg. On a 30 mile gentle motorway run my average was 39.7.
After being used to my Gen 7 remapped Tourer that could easily achieve 55+, this a major dissapointment.
The car appears to be running sweetly, no warning lights, just appalling mpg. Does any one have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Is it manual or auto?

My gently driven manual typically returns high 40's to mid 50's.

There have several threads on TA from 8th Gen auto owners reporting comparatively poor mpg. I don't recall if anyone improved the situation, or whether it turned out to be a feature rather than a fault.

It's a Type S so will be manual. That does sound a little low to be honest. Have it serviced and check all your tyre pressures are correct.

I have a type s:

I would do the following:

1. Oil filter change.
2. Check tyres pressures.
3. Check your brake calipers are not seized (big drop in mpg i had this in feb)
-------------------------------------------------

I have mine remapped by f6had and can achieve 60mpg+ at at 62mph on a motorway run

Nala Nesnej said:
Ive just bought a 2010 Accord i dtec Type S Tourer, and the mpg figures are appalling. Driving like a very nervous Miss Daisy suffering from speed phobia, I'm struggling to achieve 40mpg. On a 30 mile gentle motorway run my average was 39.7.
After being used to my Gen 7 remapped Tourer that could easily achieve 55+, this a major dissapointment.
The car appears to be running sweetly, no warning lights, just appalling mpg. Does any one have any ideas as to what could be wrong?
Brake caliper has siezed, you can bet on it, after driving it for a few miles put your hand on each wheel, usually the rear ones. You will want a new caliper (you can almost never fix it) and some disks and pads because they will be shot too an then your good to go for years. I have a rear set of disks and pads spare because they sent the wrong size mintex 282mm and mine is 305mm
132597910524 on ebay now
And yes i think the mk 7 was a much better car.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

road warrior said:
And yes i think the mk 7 was a much better car.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
That's always been my impression after sitting in an 8th Gen in the showroom - trying too hard to be something else the way the 8th Gen Civic did - for me the 4th and 7th Gen Accords were the best.

Sorry to go off topic - if it is the caliper that will be a blessing in disguise, because it's an easy diagnosis and a fairly cheap fix.

Cliffordski said:
That's always been my impression after sitting in an 8th Gen in the showroom - trying too hard to be something else the way the 8th Gen Civic did - for me the 4th and 7th Gen Accords were the best.

Sorry to go off topic - if it is the caliper that will be a blessing in disguise, because it's an easy diagnosis and a fairly cheap fix.
It is something else! get in it and drive it!!

I had exactly the same experience, when going from a mapped 7th gen, to a standard (low mileage, well serviced) 8th gen.

The only thing which seems to improve the economy is to drive faster!

Always fancied a type s tourer though, rare as a rare thing.

I Keep forgetting to check the callipers, and by the time I've remembered, they'll have cooled down. I'll have to tie a ribbon on the steering wheel (if I can remember).
My thoughts on the difference between the Gen 7 and the Gen 8.

All the reviews say the Gen 8 Audio/Heater console has to many buttons. not really, you soon get used to it, and it is simple to use. I prefer the rotary selection dial for selecting ' things' (like addresses in the Sat Nav, radio stations etc) The car itself feels a big step upmarket, it is very solid and well made, very quiet and refined, the road holding is better,, the seats are wonderful, the leather is a much higher grade than the Gen 7, 'hard leather'. It feels a more 'solid' car, I hate to say it, but it feels more BMW than Honda. The brakes are superb, but mine is a Type S which has bigger Discs, and twin pot callipers on the front (so I'm led to believe, I haven't been able to verify that yet). It is definitely more a lifestyle estate than the huge Gen 7 estate. The load space is significantly smaller, it even has the rear speakers high up on the roof near the tailgate! All in all it's a better car (IMO), however I still look out the window at my old trusty Gen 7, and do like it's clean, no nonsense lines. But my Gen 7 was lowered, which improves the look of it massively, once I get mine lowered, I'm pretty sure that too will look far better. It's also nice to be able to just plug my iPhone into the USB socket and listen to my music, and charge the phone, but I miss that little storage tray in the top of the armrest, why didn't they do that on the new one??

samlam34 said:
I have a type s:

I would do the following:

1. Oil filter change.
2. Check tyres pressures.
3. Check your brake calipers are not seized (big drop in mpg i had this in feb)
-------------------------------------------------

I have mine remapped by f6had and can achieve 60mpg+ at at 62mph on a motorway run
What stage Map did you get? Did it improve your mpg? My stage 2 map on the Gen 7 improved both performance and economy,

If it's one of ours he will be running our Stage 2

A quick update lads.
After doing nearly 600 miles, (never hammering it, and cruising on the motorways at a steady 75mph) consisting of the the daily commute plus a 450 mile round trip to Chatham, the car has 'settled down' to 44.1 mpg. I guess i'm just going to have to live with it.
The Gen 8 is definitely a better car than the Gen 7 though, and thats coming from someone who loved his Gen 7 Tourer.

Update No 2. I've just done a brim to brimming check.

Mileage on 1 tank since 'brim fill'= 599.3 mls.
Diesel fill up to brim = 53.3 Litres.

if my calculations are correct, thats 50.06 mpg, not so bad, but the car 'puter is hopelessly inaccurate.

try putting some red ex or and cetane booster in your type s. i reckon my car is better optimised for better grade fueling

i use cetane booster from hydra co. me buy from amazon

Hi Nala Nesnej,

I tried calculating your results 599.3 miles with 53.3litres, and by my reconing that is 51.1 mpg.

Pete.

I have same problem with my mpg dipping in to low to mid 30's got EGR mapped out and still have same problem till I blanked off the EGR now getting mid 40's to low 50's again.
No faults ever showed up on dash or when plugged in for faults and showed the EGR fully closed on the laptop. Hope that helps