What's new

Accord bits - putting intake back to stock and valve clearances

jimac

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Type-R
Hi all!

New to Accord ownership - just bought a 2002 Accord Type-R.

The car has a K&N typhoon induction kit and a Powerflow stainless steel exhaust(which appears to have mandrel bends, which is good).
The drone from the exhaust is pretty bad, so I want to return it back to standard.
I already have a noisy modified car for fast-hooning about at the weekends/on track, so want the Accord to be a little more "liveable" (it's Charade GTxx - like the UK GTti with a few more toys) very worked over CB70 3cyl turbo engine running 232bhp at the flywheel)

Any advice on where to get a standard/quiet exhaust and a standard intake setup would be great (I have found one airbox and pipe setup for £46, with no panel filter - is this reasonable?)

VTEC crossover is pretty violent and noisy compared to how my old 5th gen H22A8 (red top 197bhp) Prelude was, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the breathing mods, or it just needs the valve/camshaft clearances sorted (does anyone have cold measurements for the valve/camshaft clearances - can't remember whether this engine needs to be set when hot or cold...).

I have yet to ring the local Honda dealer for prices, as I was terrified how ludicrously expensive they were when I asked them for quotes on Prelude bits - they made the (overpriced) BMW dealer (I have a 330d too and a SV650S bike - I like cars and bikes!) look cheap..

thanks

Jim

Welcome Jim. Your best bet is the brakers. Might be worth trawling the Yellows and ringing if anyone local (to you) has one, or alternatively you can look at some of the "breaking" Accord's on eBay. Generally there's always 1 or 2 TR's on there being broken up.

Best of luck and hope you can get some pics up of your new wheels.

Cheers Chris!

Will keep an eye on eBay then and will contact the local LongLife exhaust center, to see if they can do anything to quieten down the exhaust (replace the rear boxes and central silencer) and compare that to the price of a full stock system from Honda.

Will probably buy the airbox and pipe from the place I found one and see if I can ebay the K&N typhoon setup to cover the cost. :)

Keep the intake and just change the exhaust back to stock. Just my 2p.

Vtec cross over never gets boring

i have a standard airbox if you are still need one. £30 its got a used filter in it but would recommend getting a new one as they arent expensive or can add a k&n panel filter for £20.