What's new

Accord parked up for weeks on end - advice requested!

superste

Members
Messages
92
Reaction score
18
Location
Ormskirk
Car
Accord VTEC 1.8 S
So I've a new job which means working away for 10 weeks at a time and my beloved Accord can't come. What do you guys recommend doing with her to keep her in good condition? The wife won't drive it as it's 'too big' for her. So what do I do? I'm thinking tyres, battery, brakes initially. She'll be sitting on the drive so the wife can start her up occasionally, maybe drive it back and forth 3 or 4 yards! Any advice out there? Cheers...
 

Robiniho77

Members
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Location
Southampton
Car
6th Gen Accord
Mine was fine, sat for 2 weeks and had now needed a new battery and won't run right

Was brilliant before!

Just needs starting regularly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

exec

Members
Messages
1,703
Reaction score
126
Location
London
Car
'99 2.0 SE Exec
Leave the handbrake off, and wheels chocked, will help with the calipers not becoming stuck! Otherwise just turning the car and letting it warm up and driving around block once a week should be fine. It's a Honda....
 

Major774

Members
Messages
54
Reaction score
21
Location
Redhill, Surrey
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
If your wife can take it for a drive once a week that would be good. Past experience has shown me problems occur when the car is not used, unless you have a nice warm garage to store it.

I remember my rear calipers on my old EK Civic were starting to seize due to lack of use.
 

Shuthan

Members
Messages
177
Reaction score
60
Location
North London
Car
2000 Accord Type-R
Ideally, it needs starting up, driving around the block till you get some reasonable warmth on the engine.

Secondly put it in gear and avoid using the handbrake.

Thirdly disconnect the battery if you can't do the first bit but yeah it does need starting up.
 

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)
Messages
7,326
Reaction score
842
Location
Off abroad
Car
TBD
Shuthan said:
Ideally, it needs starting up, driving around the block till you get some reasonable warmth on the engine.

Secondly put it in gear and avoid using the handbrake.

Thirdly disconnect the battery if you can't do the first bit but yeah it does need starting up.
for some strange reason, there's a 24-hour quota for "likes" on this forum, so I decided to give this post a "like" verbally LOL

As everyone has said, basically don't leave it with the handbrake on, and if the missus doesn't want to drive the car at all, if she can start it up and leave it running for about 30 minutes once a fortnight do that. If not, then you might as well disconnect the battery. If the brake discs develop a layer of rust on them, this is not an MOT failure, what is a failure is if the piston(s) in the caliper(s) start to seize/bind.
 

Kool Keith

Members
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
Location
London
Car
Accord i CTDi 2.2
I wish I saw this thread 2months ago.
I wanna sell my X reg civic, problem is I haven't driven it for two months, so the battery died which I recharged no probs, when I attempted to drive I found that the rear driver will wont turn. What should I do?
 

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)
Messages
7,326
Reaction score
842
Location
Off abroad
Car
TBD
Kool Keith said:
I wish I saw this thread 2months ago.
I wanna sell my X reg civic, problem is I haven't driven it for two months, so the battery died which I recharged no probs, when I attempted to drive I found that the rear driver will wont turn. What should I do?
I presume you mean that the handbrake is seized on ?
 

Kool Keith

Members
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
Location
London
Car
Accord i CTDi 2.2
freddofrog said:
I presume you mean that the handbrake is seized on ?
I think so I only discovered the problem yesterdaytried to reverse her and the wheel won't turn
 

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)
Messages
7,326
Reaction score
842
Location
Off abroad
Car
TBD
If you move the car backwards and forwards the seize/bind might come off
alternatively jack up the car, remove the wheel, and see if the lever on the caliper can be moved manually (from looking under your avatar, i'm ***uming that your car is 7th gen saloon)
 

superste

Members
Messages
92
Reaction score
18
Location
Ormskirk
Car
Accord VTEC 1.8 S
Chocked wheels and handbrake off looks a no-brainer then. I'm tempted to disconnect the battery too and leave it til I'm back every 10 weeks or so, as I can guarantee the wife will forget to turn her over, or do something daft like leave the internal light on... Cheers all
 

honda_saj

Members
Messages
1,193
Reaction score
188
Location
london
Car
honda accord
Most of the people gave made great comments especially a out caliper seize as my rear caliper seized when she was parked up, the only one suggestion other than disconnecting battery you can wire in a battery optomiser and disconnect when taking vehicle out keep battery maintained my cousin uses for nissan skyline and I have used for my motorcycle.

Something like this one:
http://accumate.co.uk/optimate%20lithium%200.8.htm


Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
 

Kool Keith

Members
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
Location
London
Car
Accord i CTDi 2.2
TypeR said:
X reg civic, does it have brake drums on the back or discs?
It has discs, I'm not gonna bother sorting it as two people want the engine and gear box
 

Kool Keith

Members
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
Location
London
Car
Accord i CTDi 2.2
freddofrog said:
If you move the car backwards and forwards the seize/bind might come off
alternatively jack up the car, remove the wheel, and see if the lever on the caliper can be moved manually (from looking under your avatar, i'm ***uming that your car is 7th gen saloon)
The car under my avatar is the accord, thats fine, I was asking about my X reg Civic
 

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)
Messages
7,326
Reaction score
842
Location
Off abroad
Car
TBD
Kool Keith said:
The car under my avatar is the accord, thats fine, I was asking about my X reg Civic
Kool Keith said:
It has discs, I'm not gonna bother sorting it as two people want the engine and gear box
that's one way to fix a problem LOL
 
Top