What's new

After Market Sat Nav upgrade

shab_the_man

Iron Man
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Accord 05 Exec cdti
So my mate was at me asking what he could do with his standard non sat nav unit. We decided at the time to install a double din Xtron unit which would replace the cubby box. Install of that can be seen at this thread

So after a year or so the xtron seemed to loose its quality and my friend wanted something that would look OEM. So I remember Faddy installed a unit from Iceboxuk which would replace the original unit. I got in touch with Iceboxuk and spoke with the owner Rob who quickly reassured me the quality of the units have come along and they are very robust. We thought about it and decided what the hell lets get one. So we purchased thisunit from his ebay store.

Below are some pics to show you the unit looks:

so this was the original unit my mate had, bog standard accord stereo

ugs8.jpg

New Unit Pics

gx7n.jpg

Installing the unit

sg77.jpg

Unit installed and running

hm7u.jpg

Overall the unit seems really good so far, it operates all the heater controls as it should and has a fantastic screen with features. My mate has a sub and amp linked with reverse camera and all seem fine.

I will be updating this thread over the course of the next few weeks/months to provide feedback on how the unit is going.

Hopefully this feedback should reassure some members that these units are not as bad as people think. Rob at Iceboxuk is a uk based company and it was a pleasure to deal with. He's keen on getting members from here to order his unit and hopefully with my feedback it will happen. I personally looked around a lot and found him to be the best in terms of quality and just dealing with. He even offers a fitting service I believe.

I have the exec Accord and my sat nav unit seems so old comparing to this.
Some bits i do like is the bluetooth calling, it syncs with your phone book and really works well. Also the steering controls are fully functional.
Overall this unit was plug and play into the old harness with no cutting what so over.

Guys do let me know what you think?

Rob has said with the right amount of interest he is willing to maybe offer some club discount so do have a think guys.

The D and P seem the wrong way round, I ***ume made originally for the left hand drive market. Therefore, when sat in the driver seat, which knob controls the driver temperature? The D or the P? And can you pop the knobs off and swap them around so the D and P are on the correct side? That sort of thing would bug the hell out of me if not! But then I am rather **** about labelling :blush: .

The D and P seem the wrong way round, I ***ume made originally for the left hand drive market. Therefore, when sat in the driver seat, which knob controls the driver temperature? The D or the P? And can you pop the knobs off and swap them around so the D and P are on the correct side? That sort of thing would bug the hell out of me if not! But then I am rather **** about labelling :blush: .
Alternatively, just paint both buttons black, job done!

I cant remember exactly but pretty sure only the d side controls the heaters, the other side is for volume but it does have dual control.

This unit is very impressive and with the DVD/TV tuner it prooves to be cool. Also thats a realtime speedo on the screen although jumps a bit as it takes it signal from GPS it is cool to watch

That looks really good mate. To job. Thumbs up.

whats the sound quality like compared to the one you took out? Is there any noticeable difference?

That looks really good mate. To job. Thumbs up.

whats the sound quality like compared to the one you took out? Is there any noticeable difference?
It has really good sound, tbh i'm quite impressed with the quality.

You know the exec has the CD track, time and temperature display in a little backlit LCD thing above the air vents in the centre console (not in the pictures above). Do you know if this unit corresponds ok with that?

I believe this will only fit the non sat nav accord. However I could ask the question from the seller.
The sat nav version accord will have a different loom

How is the a/c controls is the ac unit still working still as I know the diesel did have issues with the ac unit and these stereos..

Looks a great job Shabz is that dips car BTW

Good job, but its a lot of money to put into a car, when you probably already have a smartphone with free mobile sat nav app like Waze.

The mapping on these chinese systems runs on Windows CE, so very old school.

How much was it, £300?

I'll stick with my iPhone and Waze sat nav with free traffic alerts and updates.

I would be interested in this depending on how this unit copes after a few months. Does look like a good fit considering its not OEM.

Good job, but its a lot of money to put into a car, when you probably already have a smartphone with free mobile sat nav app like Waze.

The mapping on these chinese systems runs on Windows CE, so very old school.

How much was it, £300?

I'll stick with my iPhone and Waze sat nav with free traffic alerts and updates.
Thats fine if you just want sat nav but this system is so much more tbh. Watch dvds, run subwoofer and input for reverse camera. The screen quality is really good too. The actual sat nav is really good and interactive and find it easy to use. I think your comparing apples with pears against a phone.
Depending on demand the seller is open to discuss price and maybe offer a club discount.

Suffian bro the ac controls work spot on mate and have the dual functionality. The display floats at the bottom and hides once used.

Yes brett into dips car which is a petrol.

Kenich its working well so far and the fit is good. Not absolute but very very close and tbh it seems fine to me. Obviously thats personal choice.

The ebay ad has petrol only mentioned. Why would this not work with diesel?

The ebay ad has petrol only mentioned. Why would this not work with diesel?
Because the diesels units previously had issues with the ac compressor not running properly while having this installed again dips car is a petrol model.

Im looking to get one of these things put in mine, its a tourer though, so the lack of bass with music is annoying me. What outputs does this thing have? looking to put a sub under the seat, maby even both front seats.

Hi
Yes there are sub pre outs, depending on your setup you can decent sound. Can't remember how many and what the voltage outputs. This setup is currently running a 10" sub in the boot.

So as Sufian had mention? This unit doesn't work with diesel model right? How disappointed as I always want one fitted in my non sat nav diesel :-(

I think that was at the time, let me try and get the supplier to come on the forum and answer some questions

I think that was at the time, let me try and get the supplier to come on the forum and answer some questions
I would like the seller to say something about this unit? May be revise the unit to work with diesel model, :)

So as Sufian had mention? This unit doesn't work with diesel model right? How disappointed as I always want one fitted in my non sat nav diesel :-(
Hi all, sadly, from experience, we have been met with the unit blowing the AC on the diesel cars. We do have a protocol unit that was released a short while ago for Petrol but its for single climate cars. I do not understand why the factory have manufactured a unit as we understand that the majority are dual climate. If anyone with a Diesel car has a single climate and wishes to pay us a visit, we can do you a good deal on the unit.
Thanks
Rob
ICEBOXAUTO

Not sure Stu. Might be worth dropping icebox a quick pm to ask.
For the install I did the car had the standard unit without the headup display

Not sure Stu. Might be worth dropping icebox a quick pm to ask.
For the install I did the car had the standard unit without the headup display

Cheers, I've dropped him a message via eBay. I have since re-read the thread and you mention you don't think it can replace the alpine premium sound set-up?

Cheers, I've dropped him a message via eBay. I have since re-read the thread and you mention you don't think it can replace the alpine premium sound set-up?
I dont think its intended for that one as the wiring loom would be different. I think this is more for the cars with standard unit. However drop Robert an email and see what he says

So far the deck in the accord is running good. However you have to remember this is not factory quality so take that into account

I have the Alpine Premium Sound but the the DVD wont go past the 'please do not turn off your engine' screen. I've changed the laser for a new one, I've tried every key combo I can think of, disconnected the battery numerous times, no luck. I've just bought another DVD player that the owner says has the 'can't read the dvd' screen so I've taken a punt and will put the dvd transport out of mine (which I know is fine) and out it in that, there's a slim chance between the two I might find the solution. I'm not hopeful though.