What's new

ALB Problem

jjmartin349571

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
'86 Gsi
Guys,

On my GSi the anti-lock brake warning lamp is on, so currently I can't get an MOT :( It goes out if I depress the brake though... I've no idea what might be causing this. My first guess is possibly seized brakes, but why would pressing the pedal fix this? I've just literally had another thought, the brake pedal is a bit spongey, could I need to replace the brake fluid?

I want to get the car on the road by Friday ideally so any help greatly appreciated :D

Cheers,
Josh

If you ask me pal i would strip the brakes down and give them a good clean and yes change the fluid too as a safety precaution. It could be that you have moisture in the system.

I might check the fluid level first as I think it can set the ALB light off if it drops? I'm thinking start with the simple stuff first :) how would you go about draining the brake fluid? I've never done it before. As this is an old car do I need to use a specific dot rating brake fluid too?

I would expect you need correct dot fluid. There are loads of vids on youtube, same principal applies.
Ill see if i can find one for you.

I'm on YouTube now, watching a '92 Accord brake bleed :) think this might be the solution to my problem

Hopefully :lol:

I've found a shop manual for the ALB system. Apparently I require a Honda ALB Checker... Will be seeing if we have one at work tomorrow!

Just realised I never updated this!!

I cured the problem a few months ago - I was forced to slam on the brakes hard (as in I'm going to crash into this idiot who's just pulled out a junction hard :lol: ) at 60mph, and ever since then the ALB system has been working faultlessly. The ALB light comes on at ignition, and then once the brake pedal is depressed and the ALB ECU completes it's diagnostic cycle the light extinguishes. The ALB light then stays off and hasn't come back on once :)

Sorted :lol: