What's new

Alternator Questions

stonking

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen 2.2 Exc
Hi All. Does anyone have a view on how long the brushes on an alternator last? My battery does not seem to charge all the time and I wonder if I have an intermittent fault on the alternator. If I did, does any warning light come up on the dash?

Thanks for the help.

In all my time of driving I have never had a set of brushes fail in an alternator, not that it couldn't happen of course but some of my vehicles have been twice round the clock.

I have had a failed regulator in a Citroen (a separate device on the CX), and one bearing in a Morris, but that was recognisable by the noise.

Honda (and I ***ume other manufacturers) use brushless technology on their bikes, with an energising coil. I'm not sure why it is not more common in cars.

Just seen it is a bit of a job to remove the alternator. I will continue to investigate. Thanks

I have had my 8th gen alternator fail.

Its not that hard of a job to do to be honest. I did it myself on the driveway. I think I took the cooling fan out to get more room.

bearing failure seems the most common failure for the 7th gen and that's the way mine went
uncommon for brushes to fail, overheating will burn the epoxy insulator and windings but never seen or heard of it on ours or 8th

There was a lot of smoke coming out of my old alternator. 8th gen diesel. About 80 or 90k on the clock at the time.it went

Thats strange, if alternator does not charge your battery, the light on dash should came on!
Or maybe you just bought very big capacity battery. But this is unlikely, cuz there are no space for bigger battery, execpt you're driving petrol accord with diesel battery, then yes.

Honda themselves saying, that diesels should be driving with 780a, 77Ah battery. There no other batteries which is same dimensions and bigger in capacity. You can't go wrong here, exepct you buy this in petrol car, then yes, it can't be charged so quickly.