What's new

Any point servicing my 56 plate 2.2?

TheJamMod

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Since the last major service, I've done a grand total of 4000 miles. :D

I'm thinking I shouldn't bother servicing it this year due to the low mileage which has been a mixture of urban and a/b roads -- the car sounds and drives fine.

I have had it serviced every year, but I don't see the point doing it this year. Anyone else skipped services?

Good question, apart from oil, what can have gone wrong after just 4,000 miles?? I have often wondered about servicing at reasonable mileage intervals as opposed to a twelve month religiously adhered to event.

I would say it needs an oil change at the very least. Low mileages are often worse for a car, as they tend to be shorter journeys that don't allow the engine / oil to get up to temperature.This is especially an issue with diesels as they take longer to warm up than petrols. A cold engine is a stressed engine and is more prone to damage. I believe the service schedule for a diesel Accord that does mainly short journeys actually requires an oil change every 6 months.

With the age of your car, I suppose it comes down to if you can do it yourself or not and the overall condition / value of the car. If its in good nick and worth spending money on, then go for it. If its heading for the scappers anyway then don't bother.

Another option would be to persuade the wife that what you really need to do is trade it in for an old Mitsubishi Evo. Its a practical hatch back, petrol engine so it warms up quickly and needs oil changes every 3k miles regardless.

^^^ oil change for defo!!

The oil lifespan it's not only conditioned by milage but also by time.
You have two different type of oils:
1. The lifespan of one year starts with the first heat up on operating temperature
2. The lifespan of one year starts with the first contact with oxygen.

It does not matter if you do 5km or 15.000km with the oil but after one year you have to change it.
Or km or time...what comes first

Poslano z mojega ASUS_Z016S z uporabo Tapatalk