What's new

Any recommendations for a quiet, long-lasting "all season" tyre?

ship69

Members
Reaction score
Car
'08 i-DTEC EX man 5D
Hello

Any recommendations for a tyre for an 2008 Honda Accord (Estate)?
In order of importance to me, my priorities are:
1. Quiet on the motorway
2. Long lasting (wears well)
3. And is reasonably good in the snow

Plus reasonable handling in the rain, and reasonable fuel economy.

Background
I have been driving on Goodyear Efficiency Grip Performance (225/50/R17 98W), but I an vert unimpressed with they. Although they were well-reviewed and thought to be a 'premium' tyre, and although they were brilliant when brand new, they have developed a really bad road-noise droning noise and they have not lasted very long either. A mechanic told me that the droning sound towards the end of their lives is a quite well-know thing, and he doesn't like them.

Many thanks

J

Droning noise, as tyres wear, is not unique to Goodyears. The original Yokohamas on the rear wheels of my Tourer began to drone after 20K miles and I changed all four tyres at 27K miles. I replaced them with Goodyear EfficientGrip.

My experience of the Goodyears is very different to yours. To date these have covered 26K miles, including 5K miles towing a caravan, and I expect to get at least 4K more miles out of the front tyres and much more than that out of the rears. Regarding noise, I find them quiet on motorways and fuel economy has been excellent, regularly returning 55-60 mpg on long runs.

The latest Goodyear EfficientGrip2 came first overall in the AutoExpress 2020 summer tyre test and these are claimed to last even longer than its predecessor. It was also the quietest tyre and the most fuel efficient.

Second the comments about the Goodyear. These are what i have on the front :-Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 225/50 R17 V (98), Reinforced, Asymmetrical s far cant fault them, prior to that had Continental conti sport 5 brill in the wet but tended to wander a bit as well and slightly more noise.as they wore down.

I am now extremely conflicted. Should I just buy another pair of (rather expensive) Good Year Efficient Grip tyre and expect to get this droning at the end of their lives again.
(Btw, is there much difference between the Performance, Performance 2 and Performance XL?)

Or given that I still don't know what caused the droning, should I buy something completely different?

Fwiw, my tyres are now about to become worn to an illegal state, but the droning noise is EXTREMELY LOUD.

To recap, what I seek is QUIET tyres... that last well, and which are reasonably good in the snow.

Where is a good website for tyre reviews?
Many sites don't mention wear or don't mention noise (just "comfort")...

J

Further to my earlier response the droning on my Yokohama tyres only came from my back tyres, although it was initially difficult to detect exactly where the noise came from. I had the tyres examined at my local Blackcircles tyre dealer and they told me that the rear tyres were 'castellated', which is when there is uneven wear ('saw tooth') on the tread blocks as the tyres rotate. They suggested it could have been caused by the change in geometry of the rear wheels between driving solo and towing a caravan when the tyres were new, and recommended that I fitted new rear tyres just before a trip when the car was towing or fully loaded so that the tyres could bed in properly. I did this with the Goodyears and they are still fine after 26K miles. It may be worth having all your tyres examined to see if it just affects the rears.

To answer your earlier questions the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 tyres are meant to be a big improvement on the earlier version. Google the AutoExpress tyre test for the complete results. Regarding tyre wear this is difficult for a test to predict as they are testing new tyres. However, most do a rolling resistance test which will give an indication of the best fuel consumption and least wear.

Thank you @Grandad

To be honest, what drives me nuts about car tyre tests, including the AutoExpress one you mention, is that very often they fail to mention how well they WEAR, how long they are likely to last for, and how well they perform in the latter half of their lives - when it count the most!

And if they do mention wear, then they fail to mention how well they work in the snow.

AutoExpress are a good example - being a "Summer Tyre" they fail to mention the behaviour in the snow of Goodyear Performance 2
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/featu...res-2020/goodyear-efficientgrip-performance-2
Fair enough but they don't even mention wear either!

And this is critical. I mean my Goodyear Efficiency Grip Performance tyres were initially a brilliant tyre. Very quiet, good handling etc etc but in their last 1/3rd of life they have become a nightmare!

And before you ask, yes I have had 4-wheel tracking done on the car on a regular basis!

My local National Tyres (who seem to be the cheapest around here) are also recommending Michelin Primacy 3 or Primacy 4 tyres.

Whilst I don't have an 8th gen Accord, my last Tourer part-worns were Kumho Ecsta which did look almost new, and have been exceptional in all weathers and on the limited motorway driving I do.

They are currently 50% worn after 3600 additional miles so they do wear, but I have no qualms with performance, no punctures either (I carry a lot of stuff in the back , and front.)

There is a version for the 8th gen, but of course I've no experience.

I actually have some recent experience with all season tyres.

Since november last year I've used Nexen N Blue 4 four season on DC5 wheels. (225/45/17). Originally I wanted Bridgestone Weather Control as they were highly rated but my local fitters didn't have stock and I didn't want to wait so I went with these.

The were quite a bit cheaper but I was shocked at the comfort and quiet ride considering they are meant to handle snow also. Very impressed by them. Unfortunately never got any proper snow in my area last winter so couldn't test that. But comfort, noise and ride wise i would recommend them. Good grip in wet and cold conditions. Also negative for me was there was a slight increase in fuel consumption I think going by my trip computer.

IMG_2971.jpgIMG_2973 (1).jpg

In simple terms, it seems that you need a much softer grade of rubber for the winter/snow and although this means nice and quiet, it also means much faster wear.

Yes, I was about to go for the Bridgestone Weather Control A005 tyres (which are an All Seasons type of tyre) but what my local garage is saying is that "even with sensible driving" you can only expect "10,000 miles" from any All Season type of tyre whereas you might get "20,000 to 25,000 miles" from a good summer tyre like the Goodyear Performance 2.

He also said that certain makes of summer tyres which are made out of harder rubber would last even longer then the Goodyear Performance 2 tyres - e.g. Conti Continental and Pirelli - but that they would be noisy.

So IF it's really a case of 10k vs. ~22.5k miles, then that makes the All Season tyres more than twice the cost! :(

...in which case I shall probably just get some Goodyear Performance 2 tyres, and cross my fingers that it doesn't snow.

And IF it does snow (and I need to drive to Scotland) then maybe I'll just have to buy some cheap proper Winter tyres -which I am ***uming will only last about 5k miles!

We have fitted Michelin Cross Climate tyres all round to the wife Accord (saloon) and they were reasonably quiet, they are noisy now but that is because they have worn on the edge (her car has tpms so cannot change around easily) I am really impressed with the longevity they are over 25000 miles and still have over 4mm left. They were not cheap and to be honest we have not really used them in the snow but it is nice to know that they have the capability if required. Your other alternative is to do like me (I own a Tourer) get another set of alloys and fit full winters on and swap them over every winter. I bought my alloys and nearly new tyres from an Accord forum member and I have been using them for 5 years now. They are only slightly more noisy than conventional tyres but they grip well (Dunlop winter sport)

Interesting...

Fwiw, I remember reading a review that claimed that Michelin Cross Climate tyres are quite "noisy".

Meanwhile I am curious - couldn't one just buy the tyres and not fit them onto anything? If so, would it be okay to leave them outside as I have no garage and don't have much spare space in my garden shed? I could maybe cover them with a tarpaulin but spiders etc would be still be running around inside them.

I have now replaced my rear tyres (with Performance 2s)... but I still have the droning noise! Nightmare.

I have recently replace the rear brakes, so it can't be them.

How can I get someone to test the wheel bearings? Do I need someone with a "rolling road"?

Last time I got a garage mechanic to test them, they said that when they jacked up the car and spun the wheels they couldn't find the problem. I think the problem is that when not UNDER LOAD the bearing are quiet.

If it's not the wheel bearings, what the heck is it?? At the back of the car, there's not much else there...!

You might need to invest or find a mechanic with a Steelman chassis ear set. they can be bought cheaply for the basic ones but wireless cordless are more expensive.