What's new

Audio upgrade.

BobN1895

Reaction score
Car
2.4 exec automatic
Right................here goes.
After much thought I decided that the audio set up in my (new to me) 2.4 Petrol Automatic Tourer Mk7 on an 08 plate was in need of a audio upgrade.
I proceeded to check a few "how to" vids out on Youtube which I found most helpful. Changed the door speakers front and rear for decent Pioneer items. Sound deadened the inner doors and traced a few vibrations and dealt with. Job going good so far. Looked into a sub for the luggage compartment which compared to my previous car (BMW 320i Msport E91) is massive. Get 3 bodies and a bag of Lime in there :0)
Anyway, looked into a head unit. Checked the subject out on here and the owners club group on Facebook. Came to the conclusion that the Xtrons unit was the one to go for so I followed a link and purchased one. It was a company in Madrid and I was a bit dubious but could I find one here in good old blighty? could I b%$*&%£s. Got and email from them informing me that they only sell LHD units now and a LHD unit won't fit a RHD car. Refund and cancelled order later and I'm still hunting for a head unit. There are plenty of quality controless Chinese items on Ebay and Amazon but I just don't trust them. I want a touchscreen double din with all the usual bells and whistles. It's all about the music with me. Not interested in sat nav as I have a top garmin unit that works fine. I'm using it now cos the sat nav fitted is garbage. Got a pioneer TS WX70AD sub ready to be fitted, just got to get the head unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm just concerned about keeping the Acc controls. Or should I make do with the original sat nav screened unit and fit a usb/aux cable instead. Thanks for reading.

Seen, and replied to your post in the other section. I'm was in the same predicament, seen loads of cheap replacements but most get terrible reviews and aren't even that cheap. I ended up sticking with the Standard unit and bought an XCarlink module for around £100 to allow BT connection of my iPhone. It works very well too.

Next step for me will be to replace the amp that is part of the Premium audio system(and it cuts bass at a certain level!!!not sure why given there are two sub woofer speakers), but that is a project for the summer.