What's new

Auto gearbox slight whine.

carlnewman

Reaction score
Car
accord 2.0 auto 2004
Hi. I picked up a 54 plate accord saloon 2.0 auto last week and love it already! The car is in outstanding condition for a 10 year old car, even under the bonnet looks almost new, and it drives fantastic.
I do have one concern though. I've noticed a very very slight whine around 50mph (possibly the auto box) and wondered whether this is normal?
The car has done 112000 miles, has had full honda service history and looks like it has been very well looked after.
I Googled about the auto box and found loads of scarey stories about gearbox failure in the USA but nothing on this site?
Do they have the same gearbox and am I right to be concerned about gearbox problems?

I wouldnt be overly concerned, especially at that mileage and age. Also Honda autos are known to whine a bit. My 2008 8th gen box whines especially when you come off the accelerator to slow down, its on 72k miles.

Check if the car had the auto box oil changed, usually around 75k miles and again at 150k miles. Also check its topped up to max on the dipstick and pink red colour.

If you need to get it done at Honda think an oil change is about £150, but ask a few dealers.

Gearbox oil is pink/red and it's at the max level. Think it was done at 75k. The service book stamp shows the timing belt was done at 75k but this engine has a chain I believe and the stamp was directly above the gearbox oil change stamp position so think they stamped the wrong box! Just concerned a bit about all the American auto box failures.....are they different gearboxes?

To have piece of mind I would get the gearbox oil changed with genuin Honda oil.