What's new

Autogearbox oil change

adrenalinas

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord iES CG9
Hi all!
I believe i need to change auto tranny fluid to my accord and have few questions, because i did't do anythink like this to this car
All I know is that I need 2.5L quantity.
I have some questions:
a. is there any oil filter in gearbox? (where it is if yes).
b. is it safe to use HONDA ATF DW1? (I believe now there is ATF Z1 fluid)
c. how many fluid cost in UK? does anyone knows where to get oil for cheaper price? (e-shop which could ship to other countries than UK or US)

This fuel cost 22 pounds for 1 liter in our country. it looks to much for me... (I found that It cost 8$/1liter in US, but they don't ship anywhere except US)

thanks for answers in advance

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/transmission_oils/automatic_transmission_oils/cid(666)/maxlife_atf/product-information

can I use this oil? it sais its compatible with Honda ATF Z1. and price is lower 4-5 times

also. How to check oil level when engine is running or when off?

I bought my ATF-Z1 from >>Here<< as it was the cheapest I could find for genuine Honda oil (£12 a litre). Not really cheap but cheaper than a new gearbox.
Honda do say that only genuine oil should be used as it can effect the gearchange. From other owners experiences I have read it does seem to be the case.
You are right in that 2.5 litres of oil will drain out from the drain plug but there is a further 3.5 litres held in the torque converter.
There is no filter that needs changing on a regular basis but there is a strainer ***embly that needs the box to be dismantled to get at. Only worth cleaning if the box has had a failure and has been stripped down.
The only way to change the oil properly is to do a full flush of the system, or as I did drain and refill it a couple of times, driving for a few miles in between draining to dilute the old oil, expensive on oil but worth it to me.
To check the level in the gearbox, drive until the engine is at normal temperature, park on level ground, stop the engine, then remove the dipstick and check the level. The oil should be cherry red, translucent and not smell burnt. If it is black then change it as soon as possible.
Hope that helps.

Tony

thanks tony.
Oil in my cars gearbox is not very dark and doen't smell burn. so I believe its enough to change one time :)