What's new

Ball joints

diverssnr

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 i-Vtec SE Exec
Recently I had the misfortune of having both front lower ball joints shear while on the move. The front n/s broke at about 10 mph whilst turning into a car park. The offside front broke at 70 mph on a straight section of motorway. After a real white knuckle ride I managed to get the car onto the hard shoulder but my nerves were shattered. There did not appear to be any prior warning, no shudders, bumps, rumbles or any other sounds of impending failure. Was I just unlucky or does this generation of Accords have a history of this sort of occurrence. I have heard of one other similar model doing the same thing but to only one side. I think I will start doing the lottery.

Note to self : Hurry up and get creaky front lower n/s sorted or experience an unforeseen rallying trip up an M62 embankment :-0

regarding yours....its either poor quality steel ( i.e. inadequate mechanical properties ), or perhaps the geezer who put them on has overtightened them and caused them to fatigue.

Sorry to hear about your scare, it will be due to fitment most likely, im going to say its likely the nut came off prior to it failing, with the nut off it would cause the ball joint to do thing it shouldnt. just my guess though.