What's new

Best place for FULL Prof diagnostic

DJSR

Members
Messages
207
Reaction score
16
Location
Barnet
Car
Accord 2.2i CTDI
Hi again,

i want to get my accords engine fully checked to make sure its working at 100%, other than Honda, wheres the best place to get a full diagnostic check up? I'm in London btw.
 

DJSR

Members
Messages
207
Reaction score
16
Location
Barnet
Car
Accord 2.2i CTDI
When i say i want a fully professional diagnostic, i want the whole lot checked, engine, turbo ect ect.... is all working at its full capacity. Will the OBD2 reader do all these? I just had a gander, but obviously i'm no mechanic and would need the car plugged into a system capable of checking everything. Is this possible and if so where can i get it done?
 

Jon_G

No Longer Active
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
567
Location
Nr Ludlow, Shropshire
Car
2005 Tourer i-CTDi
Go somewhere that has a Honda Diagnostic System (doesn't have to be a Honda garage). That can test the engine subsystems by running them through their paces and reporting the results.

Quite a few TA members have an HDS, including some in London. Maybe one could help you out if you went round to see them and made a small contribution?
 

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)
Messages
7,326
Reaction score
843
Location
Off abroad
Car
TBD
DJSR said:
When i say i want a fully professional diagnostic, i want the whole lot checked, engine, turbo ect ect.... is all working at its full capacity. Will the OBD2 reader do all these? I just had a gander, but obviously i'm no mechanic and would need the car plugged into a system capable of checking everything. Is this possible and if so where can i get it done?
HDS isn't a miracle machine (I've got one myself), and although it is required for some service procedures, the main advantage of HDS is that it reads all the ECU's in the car.

If you want to read and store real-time engine data, HDS will also do that, but so will any OBD2 reader with the right software. Any garage can do this, or get your own OBD2 reader.

At the end of the day, wherever you take the car, and whatever they use, you're still down to the vagaries of the person looking at the car. It's same as going to a GP, some GP's are better than others, and no miracle machine will help a bad GP to improve.
 

Jon_G

No Longer Active
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
567
Location
Nr Ludlow, Shropshire
Car
2005 Tourer i-CTDi
But HDS does have the ability to run interactive, target-settng diagnostic routines, as well as passively reading fault codes. Isn't that the main advantage (and what the OP appears to require)?

However I agree with the GP ****ogy. It takes an experienced operator to actually pinpoint the reason for any failures.
 

f2raf

Members
Messages
482
Reaction score
49
Location
Rochdale
Car
Honda Accord
Does anyone have a link for an OBD2 reader from ebay and android app to use with. I did purchase that cheap blue one on ebay but it didn't work on my 05 7gen tourer diesel.
 

Channel Hopper

Members
Messages
1,096
Reaction score
159
Location
KT8 Postcode
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
f2raf said:
Does anyone have a link for an OBD2 reader from ebay and android app to use with. I did purchase that cheap blue one on ebay but it didn't work on my 05 7gen tourer diesel.
Not eBay but I got this one from Amazon a couple of months ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LXVA7EL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wifi as opposed to Bluetooth which really makes no difference to me, and came bundled with a link to the OBD Car Doctor app which in basic form cannot store anything, but does allow realtime running conditions - dynamic parameters - to be read straight from the screen,

Check the reviews, it did everything I required (as far as engine work), and clearing down codes. Not bad for £17 delivered either, but having also mastered the paperclip method is it infinitely more expensive for the same job, however this one gives you something to play with on the iPad or tablet whilst driving around, though obviously only on a private track of course.
 

DJSR

Members
Messages
207
Reaction score
16
Location
Barnet
Car
Accord 2.2i CTDI
As mentioned, i would prefer to take it to someone with experience, preferably a professional, but if a experienced member from here happens to live in London, i would happily contribute.
 

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)
Messages
7,326
Reaction score
843
Location
Off abroad
Car
TBD
tbh with something like this, except for 3 forum members on TA, there aren't any other forum members on TA or any other UK Accord forum with sufficient experience on diesels, and the first thing they'd do is check for codes.
The 3 members are (in no particular order)
1. Goodluckmonkey (Kent)
2. Jon_G (Shropshire)
3. Fahad (Yorkshire)
 

Channel Hopper

Members
Messages
1,096
Reaction score
159
Location
KT8 Postcode
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
freddofrog said:
tbh with something like this, except for 3 forum members on TA, there aren't any other forum members on TA or any other UK Accord forum with sufficient experience on diesels, and the first thing they'd do is check for codes.
The 3 members are (in no particular order)
1. Goodluckmonkey (Kent)
2. Jon_G (Shropshire)
3. Fahad (Yorkshire)
Option 1) is currently out of action as I am about to post his HDS unit back to Kent.

I could never get the software to work here.

Btw I ended up with a momentary lack of power when accelerating out of a right hand turn earlier. Very momentary.

After connecting the OBD scanner mentioned I ended up finding a P0201 fault mentioned on the iPod, which the Car Doctor app suggests is 'Injector circuit/ open'.

I cant tell if this is a left over from last week when I replaced the seal on No4 injector, but I cleared it down anyway.
 

f2raf

Members
Messages
482
Reaction score
49
Location
Rochdale
Car
Honda Accord
Thank you for this, now ive found the same one on Ebay, its £14.99 for the Wifi one or they do a bluetooth one for £12.99 Or make an offer. my offer of £10 has been accepted. I messaged him to find out what the difference is between the two, he said the wifi is best for laptop/ipad/iphone and the bluetooth best for Android. As i have an android it should be perfect. What app do you recommend to use with it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cocare-CV1-BT-Bluetooth-OBD2-Scanner-Diagnostic-Tool-Check-Engine-Light-Diagnost-/302361507971?hash=item4666267883:g:y-0AAOSwnK9ZT5E9&autorefresh=true

Channel Hopper said:
Not eBay but I got this one from Amazon a couple of months ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LXVA7EL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wifi as opposed to Bluetooth which really makes no difference to me, and came bundled with a link to the OBD Car Doctor app which in basic form cannot store anything, but does allow realtime running conditions - dynamic parameters - to be read straight from the screen,

Check the reviews, it did everything I required (as far as engine work), and clearing down codes. Not bad for £17 delivered either, but having also mastered the paperclip method is it infinitely more expensive for the same job, however this one gives you something to play with on the iPad or tablet whilst driving around, though obviously only on a private track of course.
 

Channel Hopper

Members
Messages
1,096
Reaction score
159
Location
KT8 Postcode
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
Car Doctor, as per the images works well, and I briefly checked the real time engine graphs, they work, but I'm not likely to use them.

The wifi version works on both Galaxy mobile and iPod, I can't tell any real deficiency in the Android operation, but using the Apple saves me from dropping a call , or getting car type dirt on/in the works mobile
 

f2raf

Members
Messages
482
Reaction score
49
Location
Rochdale
Car
Honda Accord
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0riC4r9eucjRzd5aVd5S1lVTzA

Device arrived today. £10 delivered, easy plug & play with OBD car Doctor as suggested. I have attached a link to images, I have some codes in it already which I have cleared, please see attched and any advice appreciated as I dont have a clue what they are about.
if it helps my car has stage 2 remap and physical EGR blank off & delete by Fahad.
The car runs fine, no running issues, EML only ever came on once 6 months ago and went to limp mode after i had over excessively unnecessarily floored it joining mway, was fine after swithing engine off and waiting a while, but never happened again. MPG good all good. Ive cleared codes, so will rescan in a few days to see if any reappear.
Thanks
 

Jon_G

No Longer Active
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
567
Location
Nr Ludlow, Shropshire
Car
2005 Tourer i-CTDi
Best to delete whatever is stored and then see what comes back. Can that device be used to run diagnostic routines? It looks like a dumb reader.
 

f2raf

Members
Messages
482
Reaction score
49
Location
Rochdale
Car
Honda Accord
sorry i dont know, i only bought it to read codes in the event I ever need to, didnt really need it.

Jon_G said:
Best to delete whatever is stored and then see what comes back. Can that device be used to run diagnostic routines? It looks like a dumb reader.
 

DJSR

Members
Messages
207
Reaction score
16
Location
Barnet
Car
Accord 2.2i CTDI
had a diagnostic done with the Snap-On computer reader, the one with the big screen, which i believe does the lot usually. No error codes, but when checking the Fuel filter Water it came up as high and I was told it probably comes from the fuel you use, so need to change that asap, hopefully today! Would this be causing the lag in acceleration ?
 

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)
Messages
7,326
Reaction score
843
Location
Off abroad
Car
TBD
DJSR said:
Would this be causing the lag in acceleration ?
Possibly, but if so, it does point to the fact that diagnosing issues on engines, particularly engines that have done a fair share of miles, can be very hit and miss.
 

honda_saj

Members
Messages
1,193
Reaction score
188
Location
london
Car
honda accord
freddofrog said:
Possibly, but if so, it does point to the fact that diagnosing issues on engines, particularly engines that have done a fair share of miles, can be very hit and miss.
Agreed

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
 

f2raf

Members
Messages
482
Reaction score
49
Location
Rochdale
Car
Honda Accord
Car went in limp mode, on motorway, pulled over on a dangerous verge as no acceleration. Had the kit with me, came up as throttle position sensor. 10 mins later, started , all light gone and drove home fine. Read in another link someone cleaned it with compressed air.
 

Jon_G

No Longer Active
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
567
Location
Nr Ludlow, Shropshire
Car
2005 Tourer i-CTDi
DJSR said:
had a diagnostic done with the Snap-On computer reader, the one with the big screen, which i believe does the lot usually. No error codes, but when checking the Fuel filter Water it came up as high and I was told it probably comes from the fuel you use, so need to change that asap, hopefully today! Would this be causing the lag in acceleration ?
On my earlier pre-facelift model there is a drain on the fuel filter to remove the accumulated water. Have a look to see if you can simply drain yours?
 

Jon_G

No Longer Active
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
567
Location
Nr Ludlow, Shropshire
Car
2005 Tourer i-CTDi
f2raf said:
Car went in limp mode, on motorway, pulled over on a dangerous verge as no acceleration. Had the kit with me, came up as throttle position sensor. 10 mins later, started , all light gone and drove home fine. Read in another link someone cleaned it with compressed air.
The Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor is a common failure. Sometimes they respond to cleaning, sometimes not! Until you can fix/replace it I suggest using the cruise control whenever possible to bypass the APP sensor.
 

Channel Hopper

Members
Messages
1,096
Reaction score
159
Location
KT8 Postcode
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
f2raf said:
Car went in limp mode, on motorway, pulled over on a dangerous verge as no acceleration. Had the kit with me, came up as throttle position sensor. 10 mins later, started , all light gone and drove home fine. Read in another link someone cleaned it with compressed air.
Did you delete the code when stuck, or just diagnose ?
 
Top