What's new

Brake disc size

dejv

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2006 I-CDTI
what is the size of disk break of a 2006 icdti (facelift )accord ?

Fronts are 300 from memory on the diesel.

I know the tourer front discs are 300mm not sure about the saloon.

Front or rear? I've just replaced the rears on my 2006 facelift i-CDTi Sport Saloon and they were 260mm. Some other models apparently have 280mm rears (possibly 2.4 petrol) but should definitely be 260mm on yours and mine. If in doubt, consult a tape measure!

No Accord has 280mm at the rear

Some 2.0 with 15" wheels from factory came with 280mm at the front but all have 260mm rear

The tourer has drums instead of calipers for handbrake

Apologi
F6HAD said:

Some 2.0 with 15" wheels from factory came with 280mm at the front but all have 260mm rear

Apologies for hijacking this thread - as I also require changing the brake disc\pads all around. I have a 2007 saloon sport 2.2 ictdi - I'm I correct in understanding from the above posts and other threads that the fronts are 300mm and rear are 280mm?

Thanks

freddofrog said:
^ is your car saloon or tourer ?

are you intending to do the job yourself ?
My car is 06 saloon

No, I want to buy the parts and then let my mechanic friend to change them for me
I have back injury, so I am unable to do any physical work at the moment

AndyHK said:
My car is 06 saloon

No, I want to buy the parts and then let my mechanic friend to change them for me
I have back injury, so I am unable to do any physical work at the moment
Reason I was asking is because the discs/pads on tourer are different from on saloon, and places like eurocarparts have been known to supply saloon pads instead of tourer pads (but not vice versa).

I was just curious about whether you were going to do the job yourself, based on the Honda price.

You can get a 10% discount on Honda parts from Holdcroft Honda, maybe call them for a quote.

You didn't say which engine your car has, I don't think it makes any difference, I've looked at Lings using 2.4 Type S

front pads £62.55
front discs £75.58 each
https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__2200&block_03=3077&block_05=hcr

rear pads £54.17
rear discs £67.76 each
https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__1910&block_03=3077&block_05=hcr

based on those prices, total £403.40, after discount £363.06

The other point is that discs rarely need changing for MOT, the MOT inspection looks for signs that the discs might shatter, and otherwise any rust or scoring is ignored if the braking is even on the meter on the rolling road

Plenty of other places to try other than eurocarparts, but I've always purchased Honda brake pads from Holdcroft, mainly because the OEM pads fit better in the calipers.

freddofrog said:
Reason I was asking is because the discs/pads on tourer are different from on saloon, and places like eurocarparts have been known to supply saloon pads instead of tourer pads (but not vice versa).

I was just curious about whether you were going to do the job yourself, based on the Honda price.

You can get a 10% discount on Honda parts from Holdcroft Honda, maybe call them for a quote.

You didn't say which engine your car has, I don't think it makes any difference, I've looked at Lings using 2.4 Type S

front pads £62.55
front discs £75.58 each
https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__2200&block_03=3077&block_05=hcr

rear pads £54.17
rear discs £67.76 each
https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__1910&block_03=3077&block_05=hcr

based on those prices, total £403.40, after discount £363.06

The other point is that discs rarely need changing for MOT, the MOT inspection looks for signs that the discs might shatter, and otherwise any rust or scoring is ignored if the braking is even on the meter on the rolling road

Plenty of other places to try other than eurocarparts, but I've always purchased Honda brake pads from Holdcroft, mainly because the OEM pads fit better in the calipers.
My car is 06 diesel

The reason I need to change them is because the n/s front disc is warped and causing the vibration during braking.
The rear brakes have estimate of 3000 miles of live remaining; I was told by the mechanic at local Honda.

In the MOT of last year, the examiner said that the rear-brake efficiency were not that equal. Change the parts would cure the problem.

I'm off for my injury, so I want to take this opportunity to get it ready for the upcoming MOT which is in May

AndyHK said:
My car is 06 diesel

The reason I need to change them is because the n/s front disc is warped and causing the vibration during braking.
The rear brakes have estimate of 3000 miles of live remaining; I was told by the mechanic at local Honda.

In the MOT of last year, the examiner said that the rear-brake efficiency were not that equal. Change the parts would cure the problem.

I'm off for my injury, so I want to take this opportunity to get it ready for the upcoming MOT which is in May
unsurprisingly the parts are same part numbers and prices on the diesel
front http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__2200&block_03=3070&block_05=hcr
rear http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__1910&block_03=3070&block_05=hcr

I'm not sure whether it's advisable to change one disc only on the same axle, but I have done it in the past, you just need to be aware of it for a few hundred miles after doing it. Otherwise, yes, change both discs on the front.

But unless one disc is extremely scored or rusted n the rear (highly unlikely), changing discs won't affect braking efficiency. Changing pads might, because it's possible that the pads on one side are sticking in the caliper, this will affect efficiency. Otherwise, efficiency is affected by the piston itself in the caliper.

It also depends on what the dealer meant by "3000 miles of life left". They usually mean pads, but sometimes they measure the thickness of the disc. If the latter, don't go by what they are telling you. Indeed it's not a good idea to have an MOT done at a dealer. I used to take my car to the dealer for a service and MOT, then one year they told me exactly the same thing as you've been told. I've known an independent garage for about 30 years, and I've always taken other cars to them for the MOT, but not the Honda, until the dealer told me that claptrap. So I took the Honda to my trusted independent, told them what the dealer said, and the independent told me that on the VOSA update course each year, VOSA are always saying that too many discs are being swapped on MOTs. So the independent checked the rear discs and said that the thickness was a tad under, but that it doesn't matter because it doesn't affect the integrity of the disc. Several years later, still got the same discs on the rear, still passes MOT at the independent.

It's your choice, but IMO it is unlikely that the rear discs need to be changed. Pads yes, and/or maybe some attention to the pistons in the calipers.

Note also that it's not just dealers who do this, it's also the £30 MOT places. Changing discs = simple bread & butter work for garages that is usually unnecessary, a bit like the "quick" places that used to say that shock absorbers were unsafe and needed to be changed (happened to my missus when she was my girlfriend, I remember it well).

Cheers mate

After what you've said, I decide to buy a pair of discs and pads for the front, and only pads for the rear.

But I still don't want to spend too much on Honda parts, because I have no income while I'm off for the injury, after market one is more ideal for this time.

I must admit, those prices for OEM pads are a lot, but many people have found that cheap pads are a false economy.

You can probably get decent front discs elsewhere though.

Maybe also spend £2 on this stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130679593752 it helps on the piston and sliders on the rear calipers.

I will be needing front and rear pads and discs soon (cheapo pads fitted when I collected car)

Try DC Performance website for decent parts.

Black Diamond 12 groove front discs.....£94.43 inc vat
Black Diamond 12 groove rear discs......£120.96 inc vat
Black Diamond front pads....£40.40 inc vat

I had a few brake discs setups on my civic Vti-S and Black Diamond were the best for stopping power with no fade/warp on the track.

Stay away from MTec discs whatever you do....crack central :(

F6HAD said:

Sorry to correct Fahad but my 2.4 tourer definitely has 280mm rear - I know as I replaced myself and even measured to double check. Just wanted to clarify in case someone with a tourer read this thread and ordered 260's!

I ordered my discs from brakeparts.co.uk - £110 front and rear including delivery. I was slightly concerned about using unfamiliar Fremax C+ on fronts as I'd heard about certain discs warping on the Accords but no problems so far. I got Ferodo pads up front and originally ordered Ferodo rear too but they sent wrong pads (saloon). It then turned out they may not make a rear pad for the tourer anyway and I couldn't be bothered waiting so fitted Pagid.

They're talking saloons.

As a general rule, most manufacturers estate cars have larger rear brakes to compensate for the more-rearward weight bias of the chassis strengthening and all the extra glass. (and kids junk and Labradors)

Goodluckmonkey said:
They're talking saloons.

As a general rule, most manufacturers estate cars have larger rear brakes to compensate for the more-rearward weight bias of the chassis strengthening and all the extra glass. (and kids junk and Labradors)
talking both .....

F6HAD said:

possibly Fahad omitted to add that the integral drums on the tourer cause the tourer rear discs to be 280mm diameter

Mister-Auto are decent for parts outside UK.

The bit about no Accord having 280mm rear discs is incorrect.

My 2003 Accord Tourer Executive 2.0 Petrol has 28cm rear discs. 17" alloys if that matters.

It has same size discs front and rear. Just different pads.

I recently bought a pair of Pagid front discs 300mm from Euro Car Parts, and they are horrible!! Drivers side disc is hotter than the other, had them off, cleaned up the caliper back of break disc/wheel and it still feels like drivers side is rubbing against something, its only really noticeable at high speeds. Is it the discs or something else?? I'm also hearing this knocking sound now and again, i've checked under there and nothing gone, new stabalizers fitted recently. cheers

Burbleboy said:
I will be needing front and rear pads and discs soon (cheapo pads fitted when I collected car)

Try DC Performance website for decent parts.

Black Diamond 12 groove front discs.....£94.43 inc vat
Black Diamond 12 groove rear discs......£120.96 inc vat
Black Diamond front pads....£40.40 inc vat

I had a few brake discs setups on my civic Vti-S and Black Diamond were the best for stopping power with no fade/warp on the track.

Stay away from MTec discs whatever you do....crack central :(
Just rangs Black Diamond

Front discs £136 inc vat, Pads £52......what a rip off! Rather get Original Honda's!

Apologies guys I was actually talking saloons and should have said, that's my bad there.

Thanks for clarifying.

DJSR said:
I recently bought a pair of Pagid front discs 300mm from Euro Car Parts, and they are horrible!! Drivers side disc is hotter than the other, had them off, cleaned up the caliper back of break disc/wheel and it still feels like drivers side is rubbing against something, its only really noticeable at high speeds. Is it the discs or something else?? I'm also hearing this knocking sound now and again, i've checked under there and nothing gone, new stabalizers fitted recently. cheers
Pagid supply a lot of oe brake parts, I think they are or were supplying to Vauxhall. Mind you that's hardly a great endorsement is it lol.
But seriously, Pagid are a good make so I think that needs further investigation matey. You must have another issue going on there.

But as for what brakes to get, I really like the Mintex stuff which you can get from any Andrew Page motor factor. The quality is first class and once bedded in the Mintex stuff works very well.
Blueprint brakes are also good. Maybe not quite as good as Mintex imo but still very good and not to be sniffed at. You'd never notice any difference from behind the wheel anyway.

7th Gen Tourer front discs what sizes can be fitted will 300mm bolt on or calipers have to upgraded as well ?