What's new

Brake/power steering fluid

dejv

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2006 I-CDTI
I will be replacing the fluid of the power steering, and brake. Can I buy normal dot4 or does it have to be bought from honda?

Also occasionally I get brake fluid low but when I checked it isnt low that is wht i will be replacing it just in case

Just to be clear, you need two different fluids, power steering fluid for the power steering and brake fluid for the brakes.

You can use DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 (not DOT 5) for the brakes and it doesn't have to be Honda.

If you don't use Honda power steering fluid make sure that you use one that is right for the car - it is easy to make a mistake with this.

Ok thanks for the quick reply

What fuid for power steering?

Not too sure about brake one.

But for power steering definitely direct from Honda
It's about £15 per 1 litre bottle.

Agreed be careful with power sterring fluid honda is your best option and you will need 2l iirc

Changing the PAS fluid is potentially very messy, at least if you bother to flush it so, unless there's a problem, then I'd leave it alone. Mine was fine on the original fill until recently (180k miles / 12½ years) and I only replaced/flushed the system because I'd done a repair to the PAS cooler. I managed to do it using 1L... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251820874179