What's new

Broken Turbo Unit not covered under extended warrantee

stimpyian

Reaction score
Car
ES GT DTEC
I bought an ex-demo Honda Accord ES GT, 9mths old with 9k on the clock in 2008. Since then I have had trouble free motoring and now have 81,000 on the clock. The car reached 3years old in June this year so I decided to take out the extended warranty. 3 years for £799 didn’t seem a bad price.
However, last month a warning light comes on, I am informed by the garage there is a problem with the turbo unit. Honda Extended Guarantee agree to repair the Turbo Unit, Send it away for repair, only to find its not repairable. I was then informed that a foreign object was found in the turbo unit, meaning its now not covered by the extended guarantee. This foreign object was most likely the build up of carbon that blew back into the turbo unit and broke a fin which in turn broke the turbo unit. The cost to replace this was £2500 !!!
As my car was only just over 3 years old, Honda UK as a gesture of goodwill offered to pay £1800 with my bill at £700.
Apparently the only way to prevent this happening in the future (as advised by Turbo Technics, the company that tried to repair the turbo unit) is to add an addictive to the fuel every 6months.
Anyone else had anything similar ?

Well on the face of it the gesture is a good one, however...

Are the technical bods saying the additive will guarantee this carbon build up won't happen again? if so what product are they suggesting?

Will they say what caused the build up?

Well on the face of it the gesture is a good one, however...

Are the technical bods saying the additive will guarantee this carbon build up won't happen again? if so what product are they suggesting?

Will they say what caused the build up?

The guy I spoke to at Turbo Technics Did recommend something called " Fortron fuel addictive to clean carbon and muck". They said its normally caused in cars with low mileage that don' get up to temperature and involved in town driving. Although with 81000 on the clock he said that didn't apply to me .....

I can see his reasoning, but what sort of driving does your car have? My arguemtn with Hionda would be it is not foreign if it was generated by the eninge in the first place. But then logic does seem to fail them in these matters (see the 7th gen manifold saga threads).

Frankly though you have little choice at the moment. Don't how much your time is worth trying to argue with Honda over the last of the bill - but it is thesort of thing that makes your want more to go wrong with the car to get it back from the swines.

Actually on an 8th gen, it's likely a blocked or full DPF has caused the blowback. This is one reason 7th gen's don't suffer that much from turbo failure. Additives can help of course but at 81k miles you would expect the turbo to be barely into half of its life.

Kinda where I was leading - surely the ECU would throw up an error before the DPF got to the point where it caused issues further back into the engine.

damn those emmision laws - I can guarantee that all the emissions created in diagnosing, manufacturing the remedy, and disposing of the waste materials will negate any savings from a poxy DPF.

81000 miles in three years. In that case the dpf would have had no problem regenerating Dpf's tend to be more of a problem on cars used on lots of short journeys. They never get the distance to regen,

This is not good at all Ian i fill for you.But that is a very good amount Honda has offered you snap there hands off.

If I ever got an 8th gen diesel I would get a DPF delete straight away.

that is a lot of miles! i presume the car had a service at leist every 12,500 miles? for some manufacturers turbo failure etc are a lot more common, but credit to honda as there good will gesture seams very good! its not a difficult job to replace either so at leist labour should be reasonable allso.