What's new

Bump on first day

duub

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Had my new car less than 24 hours before someone had driven into its fat ***. Partly my fault for leaving it sticking out of the back of a parking bay - I did briefly entertain the small possibility of someone driving across a lawn out of their own bay and hitting it but didn't go back and move it.

The damage was only minimal as they'd have been crawling (although I'm still a bit concerned the bumper was very slightly displaced along the edge near the wheel arch and needed popping back in) but the paint damage needs fixing. Its a 12 year old car but was very tidy and I want to keep it that way. The guy who did it was apologetic and offered to pay but I work with him and feel bad asking for £150 to get it resprayed, when I could have a whole new bumper for ~£80 if I waited long enough for a colour match.

So I was wondering if I could do a decent sand, primer and spray paint job myself or if it would look a state? Then I can just ask for £50 to cover sandpaper and rattle cans. I have £200 worth of a Silverline DA polisher, pads and compounds that did a nice correction on my last car, I've just not done proper paintwork myself before.

There is an area with no paint about 3" diameter but the paint around it is cracking and flaking if that is going to be an issue, I wonder if it popped in and out and dislodged the paint.

Any tips much appreciated.

Very hard to get a finish with a rattle can. Best thing is to have it painted professionally.