What's new

Buying an 8th gen diesel!

Yadash

Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been contemplating buying an 8th gen 2.2 diesel saloon and a good offer has come up near me, what sort of things am I looking out for when I go to see it, it's from a Honda dealer and it's a 2011 car on a 60 plate, it's also an automatic and has a full Honda service history with circa 60k on the clock

Thanks for your help guys!

Sounds good but the MPG on the auto box is on par with the 8th 2.L petrol

Hmm, well quoted figures show that the diesel get's around 44 combined where the 2.0 auto gets somewhere in the high thirties I think. Either way, it'll be less of a hit than spending 300 on petrol a month in the current car.

Also what is the sound system like, I didn't really get to test it much as I wanted to hear out for road noise and wind noise

Yep Brett is right, the auto diesel isnt too great for economy, especially around town. I think 30's around town, 45mpg on the motorway. So kind of the same as the 2.0 petrol auto. Seems better suited as a high mileage motorway cruiser, where economy would improve and get the benefit of diesel.

Staddly on here has one, hope he may see this and add what figures he gets.

Also be aware of DPF blockages, especially if you do a lot of urban driving. They seem to be better suited to a fairly long run each day to get up to temp and allow DPF regen to happen when it needs to, to burn off the soot.

However buying from a Honda dealer is the safest route and if you did have lots of DPF problems, then I expect you could return the car or exchange it.

Re the sound system, the standard system is 6 speakers and ok for most people. The Sat Nav models have the Premium audio system, with 10 speakers, subwoofer in the back etc, this is much better. There are options to upgrade speakers, think Racy Jace on here has changed his.

Yep Brett is right, the auto diesel isnt too great for economy, especially around town. I think 30's around town, 45mpg on the motorway. So kind of the same as the 2.0 petrol auto. Seems better suited as a high mileage motorway cruiser, where economy would improve and get the benefit of diesel.

Staddly on here has one, hope he may see this and add what figures he gets.

Also be aware of DPF blockages, especially if you do a lot of urban driving. They seem to be better suited to a fairly long run each day to get up to temp and allow DPF regen to happen when it needs to, to burn off the soot.

However buying from a Honda dealer is the safest route and if you did have lots of DPF problems, then I expect you could return the car or exchange it.

Re the sound system, the standard system is 6 speakers and ok for most people. The Sat Nav models have the Premium audio system, with 10 speakers, subwoofer in the back etc, this is much better. There are options to upgrade speakers, think Racy Jace on here has changed his.

Thanks rich

It is an EX GT model I believe and does therefore come with the Sat Nav system so that's great to hear. My dad does a 30/40 minute 60 mph cruise to work and back and most of the weeks driving is on motorways and a roads which is why I felt diesel might be the better option. According to the salesman, the person that they purchased the car from buys a new Accord every 3 years and chops his old one in and the previous owner does mainly motorway usage, and the car currently sits at 50k miles I think so the DPF has probably already been fairly well looked after!

Sounds like that usage should be OK for the DPF. Racy Jace has an EX GT, so he can update you on them. The EX has the Sat Nav with Premium audio and reversing camera and sensors. Also the GT part gives you the front spoiler and side skirts.

The Ex Gt Should have the
full body kit as standard. Front lip, skirts and rear bumper with diffuser.
Sat Nav
Premium stereo (Check speakers)
Reverse cam
Parking sensors
Xenon lights
Fridge cooler in arm rest as well as glove box.
Electric heated seats (I Love these!)
Half Leather
Sports Pedal as standard
Auto Dim Mirror as standard
Red LEDs as in the TYPE-S

MPG in the auto is lower than a manual but if you can afford the fuel then dont worry as a lot of people like them and love the paddle shift thigys.

The speakers are really easy to change so dont worry about them if they've blown. Just get the money from the garage and buy your own.

To test the speakers dont turn the volume past 12 otherwise you wont hear the chuffing of the woofer. Thats the mistake I made! I found the intro to Plan B She Said highlight my faulty speakers. Just use balance and fade to listen to each individual speaker.

I've got one!!!! (well, an EX anyway)

Averaging 33 mpg with mixed driving. I didn't buy it because if the mpg of a diesel, I bought it because I liked it and my old Bimmer was the best part of 20 mpg so anything was going the better than that!

Got all the toys I would want and LOVE the auto box (and playing with my flappy paddles).

I bought mine at 3yrs old with FHSH and 58K miles. Company car sat on motorway keeping the DPF clean. I give it a blast every 2 weeks or so to counteract the town driving I do so, tough wood, all will be well. If not, i'll have it out and remap accordingly B)

I've got one!!!! (well, an EX anyway)

Averaging 33 mpg with mixed driving. I didn't buy it because if the mpg of a diesel, I bought it because I liked it and my old Bimmer was the best part of 20 mpg so anything was going the better than that!

Got all the toys I would want and LOVE the auto box (and playing with my flappy paddles).

I bought mine at 3yrs old with FHSH and 58K miles. Company car sat on motorway keeping the DPF clean. I give it a blast every 2 weeks or so to counteract the town driving I do so, tough wood, all will be well. If not, i'll have it out and remap accordingly B)

The best we squeeze out of the 6th gen is 21 so anything better will be welcome!

On a cruise, would it be possible to get 40+ the avg on the clock right nos is 42

I would say 40+ o a cruise is definitely possible - would need to be 65 - 70mph though ;)

I have not yet worked out how to reset the trip so I haven't reset it and then done a long run :unsure:

Thanks, haha, the car is a bit complicated though, couldn't figure out how to connect a phone using Bluetooth and I'm a yoof, so I'm usually good at that sort of stuff!!

Finally, is it a good car?

It is abut complicated. I have used better systems. Great car though, for the money.

Great thanks guys!

I was a bit worried because my dad seemed to buy it on impulse, we'd gotten back from the test drive and my dad just straight up bought it, hoping to take ownership on Saturday morning!!
I'm still a tad worried but excited as hell, the last time we got a new Honda was back in '99 when the 6th gen came!

Good site here explains how the bluetooth works

http://www.hondahandsfree.com/

Manual here also (Acura TSX, same car sold in US)

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/BTS090/BTS0909OM.pdf

Staddly, you can reset the trip by using the sel button on the right side of the steering wheel. Press the button to cycle to either trip A or B, then hold the button down to reset, resets the fuel consumption average also.

Am I right in thinking that all EX's come with Ambient lighting>
the one I'm looking at is a 2010 if that makes a difference!

Also went to have a close look at the car today and the dealers have been awesome. They've replaced 3 of the scuffed alloys, ordered in a foglight, and are going to clean the car up and appy supaguard tomorrow, can't wait!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Think the EX has blue ambient lighting, my ES GT has red, you don't notice it until driving in the dark.

Good if they are replacing the alloys, might it not just be a refurb or swap with another Accord in stock, as the alloys are £250 each?

Also check the tyres, they should be 225/50/17, they are quite pricey, decent makes £100+

Worth sticking some 3M clear film (ebay) on the fog lights, they seem to break easily, and are £170 each from Honda,although copies are £35 on Ebay.

It could be a replacement or a refurb but either way, they look absolutely fab!!
Took me and 2 salesmen to figure out how to pair a phone to the Bluetooth in the car, turns out all it needed was some good dictation provided by myself :D

The car's currently wearing 4 Yokohama's and they've got a lot of tread left and in regards to the 3m film, does it resist cracking more or just hold the fog light together once it's busted?

Fog lights are fairly thin plastic, so the film resists most stones, just make a card template, then cut a piece and wet and stick on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15cm-x-30cm-Genuine-3M-clear-paint-protection-vinyl-film-/251153213531?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a79e5e85b

Good tyres Yoko's, owner looked after it well then.

Re the bluetooth, might be worth doing the system reset, clears the previous owners phonebook out etc.

Fog lights are fairly thin plastic, so the film resists most stones, just make a card template, then cut a piece and wet and stick on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15cm-x-30cm-Genuine-3M-clear-paint-protection-vinyl-film-/251153213531?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a79e5e85b

Good tyres Yoko's, owner looked after it well then.

Re the bluetooth, might be worth doing the system reset, clears the previous owners phonebook out etc.

Thanks so much Rich, it's already on order

Yeah the car is actually immaculate, bar a bit of dirt that's to be sorted out before we officially take ownership of the car. The interior is absolutely superb and the car seems to have absolutely no wear to any of the passenger seats and the leather's just a tad shiny on the driver bolster, which should be sorted with a bit of cleaning and autoglym leather conditioner.

Just making sure, I thought they were a bit more refined now!
There's some vibration in the cabin which was worrying me a bit, but again I haven't really had a chance to have an extended go...

They are pretty refined but when idling you they are a tad noisey. I used to have a 320d and that was quieter, but only until you opened the window!!

Another 'plus' for German engineering, they do manage to make derv engines quiet in the cabin, Honda have skimped on sound deadening IMHO.

They are pretty refined but when idling you they are a tad noisey. I used to have a 320d and that was quieter, but only until you opened the window!!

Another 'plus' for German engineering, they do manage to make derv engines quiet in the cabin, Honda have skimped on sound deadening IMHO.

I had a go in a 520d F10 and it was pretty quiet inside the cabin, hence the perceived refinement, germans also have much more efficient gearboxes which is a huge plus, especially with BMW. Honda decided to make their own instead of go with a ZF or what not:(

>>To any of you diesel guys, what is the car meant to feel like when idling?<<

A Fordson Major. But it smooths out - ours is quiet over 2k.
We get 40-48mpg and the autobox is the best bit of the car, IMHO.

Crikey........Forsdon Major!!! that's going back a bit, my grandad had one of those!

Think there was a software update to improve the noise, so check with the dealer if its had this applied. They can check on their Honda update system, MARIS I think its called. The update adjusts the injectors to reduce the combustion noise at idle I think.

Also check the recall has been done for the DPF regen, there was an issue with too much diesel fuel getting into the engine oil, the recall helps to reduce this.

Also essential with an iDtec that its using Honda approved oil, as this has low ash properties to keep the DPF cleaner. But as this car has full Honda SH, you should be fine. Just if you ever service elsewhere make sure the oil is correct.

The Honda 2.2 is a little noisy at idle but good when on the move. DPF issues would be the main worry for me.

Not at diesels are noisy inside and out. My latest diesel is quieter than our 2.4 Accord Tourer, at idle and when moving.