What's new

Can I make my car think it's not got A/C?

KennyT

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord mk8 2.2
Hi,

Firstly, I so pleased to have found this forum. THank you to the admins for approving my request.

I'm hoping that someone here has the knowledge to help me out of a painful issue with my Accord.
It's a 2009 Accord Tourer, 2.2 idtec ES GT.

I need to run a forced regen. I've done it before with DELPHI diagnostic software and it sorted the car out for a few months.
Since then, it seems that the clutch on the A/C compressor has packed up. It's really stiff, even with the engine off. I ***ume it should be free running.
The dashboard light says on or off as it should when I press the A/C button.
But one of the parameters that needs to be met before it will allow the regen to go ahead is A/C on, and the DELPHI is showing it as off, regardless of the switch setting.
So - I ***ume that something in the car senses the state of the A/C compressor. I'm kind of hoping it's a voltage coming from one of the wires to the compressor, but I'm guessing - grasping at straws.
If anyone knows exactly what the car senses to tell it the A/C is working and ideally if there is a way to trick this wire/sensor/whatever it is into thinking its on. I would be beyond grateful. I can't find a second hand pump and a new one is very expensive, on top of the likely need to replace the DPF soon. THanks in advance. Kenny

I wouldn’t advise doing this even if you could bypass it, the system uses the aircon condensor fans to help expel the heat during a forced regen. That’s also why the bonnet needs to be open. You’re dealing with temps well in excess of 500 Celsius.

I also would advise against a forced regen anyway, they’re bad for your engine and turbo.

Drop me a line if you need some help with a permanent solution.

I wouldn’t advise doing this even if you could bypass it, the system uses the aircon condensor fans to help expel the heat during a forced regen. That’s also why the bonnet needs to be open. You’re dealing with temps well in excess of 500 Celsius.

I also would advise against a forced regen anyway, they’re bad for your engine and turbo.

Drop me a line if you need some help with a permanent solution.
I'm in deepest Cornwall so Halifax is a bit of a haul, but I'll bear it in mind. Thanks for the advice, the last thing I want to do is blow the motor!!