Catalytic converter theft

thedooor

Members
Reaction score
Car
Getz
Hello
Honda Accord 2006/7 2.4 petrol (auto)

Anyone had their catalytic converter stolen and had it fixed?

Thanks

Yes, they stole mine (2006 Accord 2.4 EX Auto) in April 2021. The insurer (Bell) decided to fix it, and the shop used OEM parts - 2x lambda sensors, front pipe, cat and the full exhaust (Sankei), they've installed a new pipe finisher too.
Trouble is I'm a moving target now :) You can see it's all new and OEM.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the theft @thedooor

My s2000 got done on October last year. Was gutted and set me back around 700 quid to get it all fixed.
I didnt want to go through insurance as they can be abit funny with s2k's considering their value, and they tend to try and put third party parts instead of OEM from what current s2k members have said.
It also seems the s2k's are quite a common target aswell.

@alextic I'm impressed that the insurance replaced for OEM. So lucky the OEM stuff is still available form Honda for the 2.4 accord

I got an after market Berk cat which the guys recommended on the s2ki forum. They are around 150 ish quid. So hopefully not worth stealing anymore.
Rich at Performance Autoworks repaired the rear exhaust flange really well.

Fortunately for my Accord, its a diesel so they tend not to touch the ICTDi's.
I think its pretty hard to access or the exhaust steel is quite alot thicker.

Hope you get it sorted soon

I would highly recommend Rich at Performance Autoworks.
A fair few miles from you but highly recommended for his expertise.
Worth an email inquiry or phone call. Hes very good responding to both.

We had the CAT nicked on our Lexus Hybrid this week, despite trying to park the car in such a way that it would be difficult to jack it, but they still did it.

Now I'm worried about my Accord as that was parked next to it and also my MX5! There seem to be a few different gangs operating in my area. Is a catloc available for the Accord?

We had the CAT nicked on our Lexus Hybrid this week, despite trying to park the car in such a way that it would be difficult to jack it, but they still did it.

Now I'm worried about my Accord as that was parked next to it and also my MX5! There seem to be a few different gangs operating in my area. Is a catloc available for the Accord?
Get your CAT replaced with an after market one, that's the best option.

Get your CAT replaced with an after market one, that's the best option.

Problem with that is they wouldn't know if it's a genuine CAT or not until after they've cut it off! I doubt they'll spend the time checking beforehand.

caught someone trying to steal mine, i was arrested and interview under caution, released with no charge. no damage done to car thankfully

Has any managed to source any type of security for a replamcent cat? Mine was stolen few days ago. Garage tells me that they don't want new ones but if it still.has the precious metals in it even less then oem and its easy to take why wouldn't they target the same car. My colleague had hers stolen twice. If knows of a means to secure one on the honda accord mk7 w.0 manual. Please let.me known or post on here..

Thanks

Diesel combustion is a little different to petrol and does not use the same precious metals. I think the I-CTDI has an oxygenation catalyst up front (which is bolted together and very thick skinned). Not worth the trouble of stealing but await somebody more experienced to reply.

They struggling to deal with major crime so have little time for the minor stuff. Makes me laugh how car thieves and joy riders cause carnage and only get a ban and a fine or community service.
The deterrent is not there and they only catch a few of them.
Back in the 90s I had my van robbed, they took the back window out, removing the rubber seal , and basically cherry picked the tools that were worth the most.
I was asleep and never heard a thing. The police weren't interested then.

Do they bother with i-cdti's?

I guess as it's tucked up and behind the engine access is a little more difficult and mines lowered if it makes any difference.

Yes they do bother with CDTI, they nicked mine in 2018 :confused: think I paid £600/700 ish for a new one (with a cage around it)

has anyone found a way to stop them taking the cat . dont want my one taken

would the car still go with a straight through pipe in place of the cat

have to take my exhaust off anyway its blowing at the flexi at front and back boxes at back so will take it all off in one and split and straight pipe if it works so no cat to steal

would the car still go with a straight through pipe in place of the cat

have to take my exhaust off anyway its blowing at the flexi at front and back boxes at back so will take it all off in one and split and straight pipe if it works so no cat to steal
best preventative measure, remove the incentive

best preventative measure, remove the incentive
does the engine run as normal with the cat out and a straight pipe in place
does the second sensor need to go in the pipe
is there a ready made straight through pipe from somewhere

the car will run fine, EML will come on tho, cat needs to be mapped out, also the car wont pass an MOT emissions test.
best thing to do is to buy a cheap aftermarket cat off ebay for around £80, then smash the catalyst honey combe out of it, fit that then get the ecu reflashed asking for the number 2 lambda sensor to be turned off. that way you'll have your original cat when its MOT time

if aftermarket cat only cost £80 might as well just fit one and leave it as a cat cos no reason to smash honey combe out , still got problem of scum stealing it they not know its cheap one , they cut other pipes is problem
want something that looks cheap at a quick look under car , straight pipe would do it
but your idea is good for straight pipe , get the number 2 sensor turned off and fit cat for MOT
where to get number 2 sensor turned off ?

a cat thief will know the difference between a OEM Honda cat and a cheap aftermarket cat, trouble with fitting aftermarket cats to Hondas in particular is they seem to be very sensitive to them and constantly throw up cat efficiency fault codes. having the 2nd lambda sensor turned off will also solve this issue, there's a chap on here that offers an ecu reflash and has an option to turn off the second lambda sensor.

your ideas are sound
had a look at ebay cats and your right there are cheap ones listed for about 80 pounds
who is chap on here that offers ecu reflash ? any idea how much ?
if i do it that way a straight pipe is best tho but wonder how much that would be and where

got another idea going now as well friend of my cousin found this 190 pounds uk

looks good ? dont need reflash and ebay cat or straight pipe but does it stop them like straight pipe will

if you use the search bar in the top right, im sure you'll find it. costs around £250 from memory, there is also a guy on ebay who offers the service, those cat lock things only slow down the thief, if they want it, they'll get it. even if it stops them its the damage they do in the process of trying to remove it

ebay again then maybe reflash best way :) maybe he know of straight pipe as well