What's new

Cleaning car

Yadash

Members
Reaction score
I really want to fully detail my car but I don't have the first Idea on what to do, the last time I tried to wash my car I did more damage than good with annoying swirl scratches even using the two bucket method and I decided I would never touch the paint again. So, I need your help on what products to buy and the proper technique to bring out the shine again

Yadash mate have a good look in the detail section but 1st off get your self a snow lance.This will help clean the road grim off even before you get a mitt on the car.

Thanks Brett, I've been looking at the detailing section for an absolute age now but I just want to make sure that I do everything properly :unsure:

Also there is a very good forum called detail world I think.
I'm not a member myself but iv heard there very good.
Give Jav a PM as I think he is a member and can put you in the right places.

Thanks again Brett :D
I'm off to youtube to rewatch a detailing video that I saw a couple months ago

I think detailing world are a bit too hardcore for newbies, they'll tell you not to use certain things and to do it the hardest possible way because of a slight hint of some detail in a particular light.
I quite fancy getting some snow foam, especially like now I haven't washed it for a while and the thought of rubbing all that grime in is quite scary.

Best bet is to set aside a day to do a full clean, needs to be dry and cool.
* Snowfoam
2 bucket wash with lambswool mitt
Dry with microfibre towels
Clay bar
* 2 bucket wash with lambswool mitt
* Dry with microfibre towels
Polish with microfibre foam applicator pads
Wax with microfibre foam applicator pads

Items with * can be left out if you like, the others are pretty standard. Checking the threads on the detailing section will give you ideas on what products people like.

You dont need need snowfoam if you have a good pressure washer. I have and used it for months but i just dont rate it more of a gimmick than anything i think.

Detailing World FTW!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

Now that I've successfully cleaned and polished my car. Do share some wisdom detailing wizards B)

Personally, wash, then wash again, then wash again.

Then DO NOT dry, but get a spray bottle and clay the car. Then polish, then top polish, then wax, then seal the car, then wax over the top of that. Takes me about 2 days to do my car.

2 Days??
I've not got a clay bar yet but I have done some polishing and a double coat of wax :D

2 days Si your mad lol

Well, 2 days includes the interior and the engine bay, and all the rubber shuts, and the wheel arches etc. Wheels off and waxed etc etc.

But never underestimate the amount of time it takes to clay a car fully and correctly.