What's new

Cleaning carpet mats

Howslo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer Ex 2.0i-vtec
My Tourer Exec has the ivory leather interior, complete with genuine Honda carpet style floor mats. They were when I bought the car it had been valeted to a high standard and was immacculate inside and out. Inevitably, after owning the car for 7 months the mats are getting rather grubby now. I'd like to acheive the level of cleanliness the car had when I bought it.

So, what is the best way to clean them? I'm guessing probably a good scrub with a light detergent and air dry outside on a fine day?

TIA.

I used to do my mats on the drive with an upright cleaner.
Even pulled the whole carpet out of an older car and did it with an upright, the neighbours thought I was bonkers.

Couldn't tell you the answer though, haven't cleaned the inside of mine in 18 months, I'm a total scumbag.

My Accord interior is dark grey and I give them (mats) a quick wash with carpet cleaner the rinse in the shower, air dry in the conservatory for a day or two.

Depending on how bad the soiling is, I've been known on occasion to run them through the washing machine on the coldest setting and air dry. Obviously you'll need a large drum machine and can only do two at a time (one front - one rear for me)
Simpo's method is probably more mat friendly
I realise this sounds nuts but it's worked for me, plus they smell great.
Just don't let the missus catch you doing it.....

Bang them out on the drive, then throw them back in the footwell nowadays.

And that's as close as I get to cleaning the inside of the car - though I do have a microfiber in the door pocket as I clean the car when I'm stuck in traffic.