What's new

clicking coming from engine bay

TheHole

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Honda 2.2 i -ctdi
Been having this issue for a while and it has just come back after a long absence of atleast 5 months.

I'm sorry about the quality of the video as it was taken on my phone.... I'm hoping some one might hopefully be able to confirm what is making this noise.... I think it is the bearing on the clutch... but not sure...

Here is the video clip Video Link

Adam its hard to tell but it might be an injector.
I no you have had problems with these in the past.
Faulty injectors can make funny noises like this.
Have you lost any performance ?

No performance loss at all. Also not sure it's an injector as it sounds like it's coming from the front left of the engine near the belt area.....
Still open to suggestions though!

Brett. How would I tell if it was an injector?

No performance loss at all. Also not sure it's an injector as it sounds like it's coming from the front left of the engine near the belt area.....
Still open to suggestions though!

Brett. How would I tell if it was an injector?
Just had another listen on the home pc and it certainly dont sound right.Its almost a metal sound if you no what i mean.
Just for the record on the older generation of diesel engines if you were yo loosen off the top olive of the injector at fault the noise would stop.
On our cars im not 100% this would work.
It does sound like a pulley of some kind missing a cog or something.For the clutch bearing does the noise go or change when the pedal is pressed ?
Also hopefully no but could it be the timing chain.
Adam these are only guesses you might have to get the noise diagnosed.I would sort it ASAP in case its doing damage.

Thanks again for your response Brett.

Noise does go when there is some load on the engine I.e driving along... but if you depress the clutch and let the engine idle it comes back.
Not sure it is a chain as it doesn't sound ' metaly' enough . .. but then again I'm not sure on wtf it is hence the post !

I may book it in to Honda to get it checked out.... just don't look forward to how much they will charge just to diagnose the issue!

Sorry cant be more of a help but hopefully someone else might shed some light mate.
Just a thought when the car is in neutral and idling does depressing the clutch alter anything.
I no you said when driving the sound goes but when you are stationary.
This might rule out a clutch/DMF or bearing problem.
Also something to try is take off the alternator belt to eliminate this.Hence if the noise stops then this is the culprit.
Also you could try a big screwdriver put to your ear to pin point the exact place of the noise.
I no its old school but it does work.

Brett. Noise does not change if clutch is in our out when stationary.

How do I take the alternator belt off? Just had a look and it's quite tight on there.. and not a lot of space either!.

What's this screwdriver trick? You trying to get my ear taken off by getting me to shove a screw driver in to a pulley wheel :D

I'm not sure how to take the belt off but I'm sure there is a DIY here for this.
As for the large screwdriver it's used normally to diagnose internal engine noises.
Iv seen the guys at HH doing this to diagnose timing chains lol

So I presume I put the flat blade end on to different parts of the engine whilst it's running with the handle to my ear....
I presume it will sounds clearest when I'm are the fault area.

Now you mention timing chain... I hope it isn't as I got it replaced about 3 years ago by my Honda dealer under warantee. Does it sound like a chain though??

I will take another video in day light tomorrow with my proper cam recorder and see if the sound quality is better.

That's the one Adam with the screwdriver trick.
If you said the chain was done 3 years ago then it's prob ok.
I'm hoping it's just a pulley on the left that is the culprit .
It might be worth taking the side cover off to get a better look as well mate.I think it comes off but can't remember 100 %

Thats your Alty clutch ***embly, In fact thats a good reference vid of how it sounds when the clutch in it gets pretty bad.

To take the belt off use a 14mm long reach on the pre-tensioner. It's tough mind so use a scaffold pole or similar to give you leverage.
pre-tensioner.jpg

My theory is when its making that noise it's not charging, so if possible can you read the voltage and let me know that would be great.

If you can pm if it is the alty aswell, and you dont mind I'll link the vid in the Alternator diy thread.

Salim. Let me make a better quality video for you :).
I will check if it's charging when I get to work this eve but I believe it is as I have had my lights on and all sorts.

I will need to look at your alternator thread to get an idea onwhat to do to fix this horrible sound!