What's new

Clutch failed at 62k

JLPK

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
My accord has over the last few months suffered from an occasional rough gear change into 3rd or 4th. I have changed the gear oil and no improvement. This morning I drove the car and every time I stopped it was very difficult to engage 1st gear.

Anyway, as I suspected a Honda technician confirmed that the clutch was not disengaging.

The car has a full service history. I bought it 3 years old with 9k on the clock and I have been very gentle with the clutch, never holding it excessively on the clutch and generally driving it smoothly. My last accord had 97k on the clock when I traded it in and it was still on it's original clutch.

I've booked it in for a new clutch next week at my local Honda dealer, £685 which I thought was not a bad price for Honda parts fitted at a Honda dealer. But I am really disappointed in the car failing in this way with such a low mileage.

The dealer have said they will submit a warranty claim for me as I have a Honda extended guarantee and I think that as the clutch is not worn out (it's not slipping) then it has failed rather than wearing out. So we will see what happens there.

Has anybody else had experience of early clutch failure like this ?

Mine failed early too :-(

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/20437-i-dtec-clutch-slip/

Though mine was slipping rather than not going into gear. New gearbox oil greatly improved that symptom on my 7th Gen but you've already tried that.

I ***ume the dealer will rule out peddle box / master / slave cylinder possibilities before diving in on a massive job?

The diagnosis on mine seems to have been correct as 30K miles into the replacement I've had no slipping.

Let us know how you get on.

The accord went in on Tuesday. The dealer stripped the clutch from the car, examined it, took photos, measurements and submitted a claim on my Honda extended guarantee. I got a call on Wednesday to say it was repaired but the warranty company had not yet said if it would be covered.

So I collected the car and asked again about the warranty claim. It was accepted ! Apparently the splines were worn which was causing the driven plate not to slide easily on the gearbox input shaft and therefore not disengage. But the friction material had very little wear which doesn't surprise me with how I drive the accord. The dealer said that the claim had been accepted as they were able to prove that the clutch had failed early.

The car drives better than it has for the past year. The occasional rough gear change into 3rd or 4th has stopped and I am also guessing that that the very occasional time the car was difficult to take out of reverse was also due to the clutch staying engaged.

I am very happy with Honda nad the extended guarantee on this occasion.