What's new

Clutch issues due to cruise control

theballboy

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 accord cdti
Interesting stuff. Was over on the civic info forum checking out some wikis when I came across some posts on clutch issues on the accord. Maybe it's been discussed here but a few people were attributed cruise control as a major contributor of clutch failure

"I did read Honda were putting the clutch slipping down to the cruise control switch on the clutch pedal having poor adjustment - adjusting the switch can cure the problem."
"
"It does sound like a slipping clutch and on the Accord it tends to be linked to cruise control switch."

Any info???

Its part of a longer story TBH, some accords came out of factory with the CC switch incorrectly adjusted. This had the effect of riding the clutch a little, however the true issue is not with the clutch its the self adjusting pressure plate. Have a good search around there is loads of info on the clutch problems.

Yep agreed with Andy there is so much info hear on this subject i could right a novel :D

once it starts slipping its a matter of time but i would recommend hh to do the works there based in stoke

Not using it makes no difference mate - it's simply a small adjustment to ensure there is no play in the pedal between it and the top of the switch.

Hi - I've a similar clutch slipping problem on my 2008 iDtec which I first noticed in April 2016. As the car had a 125,000 on the clock I ***umed that it was simply the original clutch having worn out. I took it to Halfords and they told me that it had "reached the limit of its adjustment" I therefore got the clutch renewed, not at Halfords though. I thought all was good but then with the car loaded up the first acceleration on the motorway the slip appeared again!!!
Is this a fault with all 8th generation Honda Accords'? Can anyone confirm the exact fix for this problem? Cheers

This doesn't affect the idtec cars. More likely your clutch was not installed correctly or the car has been remapped and is being pushed too hard.

Thank you for the reply. The problem didn't seem to appear until I had the car for 2.5 years. The clutch feels fine in all other respects and when driving around town even when accelerating hard, however, get onto an open road and stick you foot down and above 2000 rpm the revs then jump forward and the acceleration of the car then tries to catch up, which eventually it does but obviously this is not correct.
I did take it back to the garage and they actually spotted that the EGR pipe had split and suggested this might have been the cause of the problem??
I had that fixed but the issue has not gone away - I'm trying to find out the answer as it is clear that the garages can work it out!
How can I find out if the car has been remapped?
Sorry for all the questions this is my 2nd Accord the first was a 7th gen and was brilliant, unfortunately, my 8th gen is proving somewhat more problematic!

Nothing to do with a cracked EGR pipe, and I'm not sure how any reasonably competent mechanic can even suggest that a leaking exhaust pipe can cause clutch slip!

You need a tuner to check your ecu software but in the first instance take it back to wherever you got the work done as it's clearly not right.

Can't believe the garage said that was a possible cause!

self adjusting clutch needs the proper install tool, otherwise you can trigger the self adjusting mechanism which is game over. Many don't use the tool.

It's slipping in higher gears because that's when the engine is producing
The most torque.

Luckily you have a warranty so take it back to the garage.

As the said possible wrongly installed clutch.
Did they check your DMF to see if this was in spec if not then this also might be the cause.
Was the work done at a Honda garage or independent?