What's new

Clutch Master Cylinder - Accord 2009 2.2 i-dtec type s Saloon

David16256

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have just bought 2009 2.2 I-dtec, type s and experiencing some issues with clutch squeaking noise.

I have read some of the threads here and it seems to be a known Honda issue. I have sprayed coupled of times with silicon grease & white grease, but after a couple of days it keeps coming back.

I have now decided to replace the master cylinder, but can't decide which one to go for. Honda genuine with over £200 seems a bit expensive and it looks like its one of their weaknesses.
I am thinking to go for an aftermarket with cheaper option but don't really know which brand would be best.

Can anyone advise which aftermarket brand to choose for this solution please.

Many thanks in advance for you support.

csak1981

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 8th Ge
If it's more like a creaking noise than a squeaking noise then it could be the spring mechanism at top of clutch pedal high up that's impossible to get to and grease.

I'm hoping to remove the whole clutch pedal tomorrow in order to get to the spring to clean and re-grease. I've always noticed during warmer days the creaking comes and is worse the warmer it gets or the longer the car is driven.

This could be your problem rather than the cost of replacing master cylinder, I'll be sure to post the results of re greasing.

My only concern is according to my workshop manual honda states to use multi purpose grease which is lithium based I believe and the contact areas have plastic bushes which could degrade with the lithium content. I'm in two minds whether to use silicon grease instead

David16256

Reaction score
I thought It was a spring too, but as soon as I spray into cylinder squeezing noise goes away in matter of no time. So the affect is immediate.

I was going to spray with lithium but decided not to for the same reason.

Hope it all works out for you tomorrow, fingers crossed

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
What you need is molykote grease, designed for o rings. Lithium and silicone greases tend to dry out quickly and actually harden the rubber making the problem worse.

get some molykote in a syringe and use some earth sleeving on the end push as much as you can into the cylinder and keep pumping the pedal to help it get past the piston. Messy job but it will solve it. It’s a common issue on all Honda manual cars, they all share the same setup.

smokingman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2008/9

csak1981

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 8th Ge
I attempted to remove clutch pedal yesterday and was halted as couldn't get access to left mounting nut which secures the pedal ***embly as well as the master cylinder. The right mounting nut and top bolt seem to be easy enough.

Anybody got any tips on how to get pedal out?

My honda worktop manual on cd-rom lists procedure as,

Remove dash under cover - easy
Remove pin and retaining clip - easy
Remove 2 nuts and bolt - can't get to left nut (was really itchy too!)

No mention of removing nearby parts to get to left nut (itching now unbearable lol)