What's new

Clutch

Man le-mans

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi all
I’ve been looking but unable to find the answer so sorry if it’s been asked before. I’ve just bought 3 weeks ago and done over thousand miles in it and all seems ok apart for front disc wobble. But the other day I noticed the clutch slip in 3rd-4th gear. I’m planning a very long drive so need this sorted asap. I’ve asked a local garage for a price which they haven’t got back to me yet. The car has done 91k on a 64 plate. 2.2 diesel.

Now I have done a few clutches in the past like 20-30 years ago. Also looked on YouTube and apart from the subframe which I see is common now days all looks straight forward. I also have seen that most of the time the DMF is ok and don’t need replacement but will remove and check. I have seen that I need a special clutch alignment tool for these. I was looking at SACHS or LUK.

I haven’t really worked much on cars for a long time so am going to have problems doing it on the drive away or should I let a garage do it.
Any help is appreciated

It’s all fairly straightforward but it does depend on your level of competency. The subframe needs to be lowered rather than removed completely and everything’s pretty heavy so doing it on the ground might present some challenges but not impossible. I’ve known people to do their timing chains which involves engine removal on their driveway so anything is possible if you’re determined enough.

Last edited:
Hi all
I’ve been looking but unable to find the answer so sorry if it’s been asked before. I’ve just bought 3 weeks ago and done over thousand miles in it and all seems ok apart for front disc wobble. But the other day I noticed the clutch slip in 3rd-4th gear. I’m planning a very long drive so need this sorted asap. I’ve asked a local garage for a price which they haven’t got back to me yet. The car has done 91k on a 64 plate. 2.2 diesel.

Now I have done a few clutches in the past like 20-30 years ago. Also looked on YouTube and apart from the subframe which I see is common now days all looks straight forward. I also have seen that most of the time the DMF is ok and don’t need replacement but will remove and check. I have seen that I need a special clutch alignment tool for these. I was looking at SACHS or LUK.

I haven’t really worked much on cars for a long time so am going to have problems doing it on the drive away or should I let a garage do it.
Any help is appreciated

If only slipping in 4th it will go another 20-40k if you are careful

My clutch started slipping in 2016 at 134k miles

Its now 2023 and the car is now at 280k and still going fine. I just dont drive the car hard.

However, if the clutch pedal starts to vibrate when accelerating away, then the DMF is on its way out. i would then look at the clutch replacement.

Depends how aggressive you are with the car, clutch life depends on how you drive.

Highly recommend a trusted garage do it if you decide - its quite a big job on a diesel.

My clutch started slipping in 2016 at 134k miles

Its now 2023 and the car is now at 280k and still going fine. I just dont drive the car hard.

However, if the clutch pedal starts to vibrate when accelerating away, then the DMF is on its way out. i would then look at the clutch replacement.

Depends how aggressive you are with the car, clutch life depends on how you drive.

Highly recommend a trusted garage do it if you decide - its quite a big job on a diesel.

Wow that’s impressive. Not noticed any vibrations with the clutch pedal

Did mine with a pal on ramps a few weeks back. Took 6 hrs, I really wouldn't fancy it on the ground. Clutch alignment by eye was easy.

if you're doing the clutch, then change the flywheel at the same time, if its done 90k then it must be getting close, a new clutch on a worn flywheel will finish off the flywheel in no time and you'll have to do the job twice

Yes that was the plan to do both. I priced up the flywheel and it’s £440 from LUK. The main eaters do a clutch for £900 as a set price and thought I could maybe supply the LUK flywheel instead of theirs. Saying that it hasn’t slipped since so being careful with.

Flywheel not necessary unless it’s out of tolerance. Check for play from lock to lock, 3-36mm is the Honda specified range.