What's new

common handbrake problem

japcarmaniac

Members
Reaction score
Car
1999 F20B6 VTEC
well heres another prob i have and its a common for me with the civics ive had but this will be the first time ive sorted it myself. handbrake is obviously nacked, rear brakes work fine under normal braking, piston moves in and out but after a little inspection earlier i noticed that the lever mechanism that the handbrake cable attaches to with the spring does not move at all. seized to badly to rebuild?

I was going to attempt a rebuild on mine when it seized. I had already replaced it so was effectively working on a spare so could afford to destroy it if things went wrong lol.

I tried to undo the central bolt, had a breaker bar on it and after some force on it the bolt and lever arm moved. So I sprayed penetrating oil down the channel the bolt runs down, between the lever arm and caliper body and kept working the bolt back and forth whilst adding more penetrating oil.

Eventually the arm seemed to free itself, the spring would return it under its normal force.

So I never actually got that main bolt out, but just working it bar n forth with a long bar was enough to break it free it turned out.

I'll pop a jpg of the bolt up when photobucket comes back up.

This pic is getting legendary its been posted that many times about rear calipers lol.

You can see the return spring has not returned the 'lobe' back the cable abutment (12o'clock position in pic). But a breaker bar on that bolt (12,14mm??) worked back n forth along with a lubricant helped free it up.

IMG_8545copy-1.jpg

it will not turn off at all, I believe. you need to cut off this nut . or another way: cut in a little so it would expand diameter of thread a little(don't damage volt in the midle),unscrew it then. and disassemble everything, clean, change rubber parts... otherway it will be stuck again in few month.
I dont know how to explain exactly. My english is not so good.

tried to paint schematic :D Hopes it doesn't look silly.

Usually if you soak any stubourn nut it WD40 etal, for a a while then it frees up on it's own.

But to be honest, Linas' diagram looks pretty much spot on. Just start with light taps first though, then go for the big wacks ifit still won't move.