What's new

Costco Premium Fuel - 7th Gen 2.2 i-Ctdi

mbaccord

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi all,

Just thought i'll start a thread up in TA as haven't been able to see anything for this on the net anywhere.

Costco in Birmingham opened up Fuel station 2 weeks ago and have started selling Premium Diesel @ £1.09p, which is as we all know a big difference from £1.29p for Shell V Power (which i usually use). I was wondering if anyone has used this in their Accords? Anyone noticed any difference? probably coming from a normal diesel onto the costo premium one? any suggestions or any ideas welcome.

I am tempted to use it purely because it's a great price and i've been told they use same additives as Shell V Power (i'm sure it can't be exact but may be similar).

Thanks for reading.

I most cases the "premium" diesel have higher cetane number.
EU standard ( EN 590 ) is 51, premium are usualy 55-60.
To get this result they use 2EHN which you can also buy and mix in fuel every tank like me.
The engine feels more "alive" but you MUST be careful with dosage.
DO NOT pass 2ml of 2EHN per 1L of diesel

Sorry, I can't give feedback on Costco fuel but I'd always use whatever's cheapest in my neighbourhood.

I guess that if you normally use a fuel with a higher cetane rating then you may notice some drop in top-end performance and probably get slightly poorer MPG.

Thanks Jan Accord & Jon_G for quick replies.

Is there any recommendation for a 7th gen accord to use premium fuel etc or regular ones fine?

BTW what sort of MPG are getting on your 7th Gen Accords (if you still own these models)? with premium or refular fuel?

I guess no harm in trying the costco premium fuel as i've checked on their website and on internet in general it is recommended for Honda Accords as per the manual book etc

Especially if people are using regular fuel in these cars anyway so can't be that bad lol

The only recommendation would be for the fuel to meet the minimum requirements of EN590. I would be amazed if diesel sold within the EU didn't have to legally meet that standard.

Personally I believe premium fuel to be a waste of money, so generally avoid the higher cost. However last year I was commuting from Shropshire to Essex and being paid mileage at 45p/mile, so splashed out on three consecutive tanks of BP Ultimate as an experiment. I did not notice any improvement in power or smoothness, but the mileage improved fractionally; up from the typical 46-ish to ~48 MPG.

I'm interested to hear how you get on with this bargain fuel!

I found the opposite with BP ultimate.
Dropped about 4.5mpg over the exact sane weekly commute on the two occasions I tried it in my car.

Always found I got the best returns on shell regular, or tesco regular.

Thanks for the input Jon_G.
Right well I've actually tried the Costco fuel, not felt anything difference in terms of performance or anything but then again I was already using shell v power so not sure if I would have with a Costco one. But anyways I'm going to fill up in about 10 mins and hopefully can calculate the figures once I've filled up and report back here shortly. But tbh by looking at the needle I think it will be more or less the same mpg as before.

GoodLuckMonkey, thanks for the reply.
Funnily enough I've only tried BP ultimate in my car once in the past 5+ years and for some reason I notcihed dropped in fuel consumption too. On the other hand when tried on regular BP it was giving me average as it always did but generally I always stick to shell v power or the odd times regular shell.

Thanks again for both of your replies.

Hi guys,

So I refilled this morning and according to the calculations.
I got 3 miles less per gallon on Costco fuel. This is based on 90% motorway miles rest just local driving.

There is 20p difference between the price so I guess it's up to the individual to make this decision eh!!

I'm unsing OMV standard EN590 fuel with 100ml of 2ENH and 200ml of Shell Advance Racing M30 per tank with 49 mpg average in 40.000km

mbaccord said:
Hi guys,

So I refilled this morning and according to the calculations.
I got 3 miles less per gallon on Costco fuel. This is based on 90% motorway miles rest just local driving.

There is 20p difference between the price so I guess it's up to the individual to make this decision eh!!
You need to fill at the same pump a few times in a row.
I find different petrol stations, fill to.different heights up the filler neck, skewing the results.

You should also calculate mpg over at least 1,000 miles, the mpg of my car(s) can vary by 10% from tank-fill to tank-fill even at the same pump.

Goodluckmonkey said:
You need to fill at the same pump a few times in a row.
I find different petrol stations, fill to.different heights up the filler neck, skewing the results.

@Goodluckmonkey ,

Yeah I know what you mean. I guess you can never get an exact mpg every single time as it depends on other aspects of the road as well driving styles etc

But my calculations are based on 365 miles and I made sure it was all Costco fuel in the tank.

@Freddofrog

Again it could be the case but please see my previous post as explained about miles/same fuel etc

Thank you.

Anyways so by the looks of it (I've also checked other sites in general for fuel consumption for these models), I guess as long as we are getting between 45-50 MPG mainly motorway miles, it seems to be the average.

Weather conditions can affect mpg more than anything else, they affect engine performance and tyre rolling resistance.

As I say, the mpg of my car can vary by 10% tank-fill to tank-fill, even from same pump, even though range on tank-fill is same.

Over the same commute, I tried loads of different things to affect fuel economy.

Rolling resistance between 225 and a 225/245 combo made no difference.

The seasonal difference summer to winter was approx a 1-2mpg drop during the colder months.

Apart from the weather, the only thing that made any appreciable difference was what I did with my right foot.

Hopefully this now clears up any remaining uncertainty regarding Costco diesel versus premium brands?

I changed the engine oil in both my Accord and Toyota vehicles yesterday and I'm now wishing that I'd checked out Costco prices for 0w-30...

Once again - Thanks for the replies all

@Jon_G - Costco selling that oil for £36 (incl VAT) it used to be £33 before cuz past 2-3 years I bought it from them.

But this year with euro car parts same oil with Bosch oil filter for the Honda Accord 7th gen 2.2; it's coming upto £38 something
(That's with their 35% discount this weekend)

I switched to Costco a couple of years ago, switching from V Power. I commuted 300 motorway miles per week. Mileage returns were actually similar but it didnt hit the pocket as much as V power did and I find it is usually priced cheaper than supermarket fuel too. Occasionally I would switch from costco back to supermarket, only due to convenience and definitely noticed throttle the var feeling a bit laggy at times, but switching back to Costco soon sorted it out. I must admit though it V power had a far superior throttle response than any other fuel I have used.

F2raf,

Thanks for your post. I agree with what you said about the V Power, I actually put V Power in cuz had like £7.50 fuel voucher from shell so thought why not eh lol and yeah I noticed the throttle response was so much better then Costco fuel or even BP or shell regular diesel and by looking at the fuel needle; by the looks of it seems like it's doing really good mpg too

But I guess it's one of those, u can't win
Cuz v power u feel a massive dip in the pocket , I do between 300-350 miles easily a week so when filling up at Costco in comparison to shell v power I almost saved up £10 a fill and that's a considerable amount when u doing that much mileage regularly.

lol this thread has become a mixture of few things, but it's all fun :D

on the other hand, is anyone else trying the costco fuel in Birmingham area or?

Petrol vs diesel debate is so boring now.

Please make posts relevant to the thread

Thread tidied up.

Please keep threads on topic and don't litter them with off topic bickering.

Thank you