What's new

Creaking from offside front suspension

crespo

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX 2.0 i-vtec
I am getting a weird creaking noise from the front passenger side wheel area. It only happens when turning left.
I have checked the calliper and that is fine as it should be as it was only replaced last month due to seizing. Anyone got any ideas.??

Here is a video as it is difficult to explain the noise. The wheel is actually being turned very gently it just looks stationary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1h9LhCUEu8

Can you get the front up on axle stands and repeat the operation? sounds like track rod end could be at fault. Taking the weight off should confirm.

Either that or suspension/ARB bushes

Sorry can't help with the diagnosis, but how do i post a youtube video like that? Would be good to demonstrate my oil smoke problem

Have you tried lubricating collar and top hat of strut? sometimes springs can be at fault, I had this recently with my FIL's MGTF. Next bet would be bushes compliance bush has a nasty habit of going but not look like its gone if that makes sense.

Sorry can't help with the diagnosis, but how do i post a youtube video like that? Would be good to demonstrate my oil smoke problem

just copy the URL (address at the top of the page) from Youtube and paste it on to your thread.

Cheers for the ideas guys. I did think ARB's but i have had roll bar bushes go on previous cars and they generally clunk the same goes for drop links so i am a little confused. It sounds like something needs lubricating. There are no knocks or bangs and the suspension seems to work fine. I think i need to get the wheel of for a closer look.

just an update, The car seems to have mended itself. it must have been something to do with the monsoon weather we have been getting. Some water must have got in where it was not wanted and dried out overnight.

just an update, The car seems to have mended itself. it must have been something to do with the monsoon weather we have been getting. Some water must have got in where it was not wanted and dried out overnight.
Good news Neal glad its sorted and cost nothing :)

Either that or suspension/ARB bushes
I took my 2004 ictdi in for its MOT on sat it failed on offside front lower (front) suspension arm has excessive in pin/ bush [2.4.g.3] it to was creaking. the car has done just shy of 100,000 miles and will cost me £110.00 to get fixed.

lower ball joint same thing happened to mine the noise will come back soon and gets worse common on accords so the mechanic tells me?!

Much cheaper here, and a mechanic is required rather than a fitter!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-FRONT-Upper-Lower-Ball-Joint-Set-HONDA-ACCORD-03-08-/320634366289?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash

lower ball joint same thing happened to mine the noise will come back soon and gets worse common on accords so the mechanic tells me?!

Bang on mate.

Thought i had better update this thread. Yes it was the lower ball joint. Unfortunately the other side has gone now. :lol:

Bang on mate.

Thought i had better update this thread. Yes it was the lower ball joint. Unfortunately the other side has gone now. :lol:

I too have this exact same problem on front drivers side.
Noise was intermittent when we had the below freezing temperatures, but disappeared totally when weather warmed up.... However it has now returned with a vengeance. Sound is ten times worse when driving less than 5mph.
Can someone please advise ballpark figure I should expect to be paying out to get fixed by a mechanic? I'll be ringing round for qoutes on Monday.. but forearmed and all that.

Thanks guys

I know I've kinda jumped on back of a pretty ancient post here... but it's all relative. Sorry anyway! In hindsight maybe I'll start a new topic.

Just rang Baildon Road Service Centre in Shipley.
Explained I had a 2004 Honda Accord Saloon (CN), and that I was enquirying about getting balljoint changed on front lower drivers side.

Qoute I had back... £153. Exact words fella used "It's not cheap i'm afraid, your looking at a whole arm, £153+ Vat... £96 for arm alone, and then our labour on top"
I pretty much told em to go do one... with the words, im not looking for upper control arm doing, they've been done... I want the lower bower joint which is on the knuckle.

Now I am right ain't I? CN Saloon... balljoint can be replaced by being pressed out of knuckle?

The lad from Baildon Service Centre was a bit put out that I told em to go do one, so he's going to look into it further and call me back Monday.

Right folks, just to follow up on previous post... and to conclude what my exact problem was.
It was indeed the Lower Front Ball Joint.

I took my car into Honda Stratstone in Bradford, and had them do a free health check (Takes about an hr). They gave me a few advisories... but I was only there to really find out exactly what I needed.
They confirmed Front Lower Ball Joint had excessive play, and wanted £208 to repair it.

Now, after reading on this superb website all the info which is at hand... I knew I could get it much cheaper elsewhere. (But the wife was insistant that I get the car fixed within the week, as we have 2 young kiddies, and my car is the main workhorse.... so despite getting it done cheaper than the £208.. I think I still could squeezed the price down, had I had more time)

Anywho... I enquired what the part number was... Stratstones part number was 51220-SDA-305 and they qouted £54.14 (incl VAT), and 1.3hrs labour.

(Interesting HH did not recognise this part number, and advised that they had it down as 51220-SDA-302... again it was £54.14... but when I was on phone to parts guy, he actually asked me if I was a member of Typeaccord... and offered me a slight discount on this price.

So.. armed with the info that I shouldnt be paying over £55 for the part... I rang Baildon Service Centre back (those guys who wanted £90+ for the part, as there systems said that thay had to replace a lower arm?!).
And proceed to lay down the law.... "This is part number, this is how much part is... its an hours labour (hehe), whats your labour rates? (£48+VAT) Can I have courtesy car for the day? etc etc"

They booked me in next day! (Woot!).... all in all by time they rang me advising that I could pick car up... "Oh and by the way you have a few advisories...", to which I relayed what all the possible advisories could be......The garage replied with... "Ummm, seems like you know your car inside and out... shall I stop trying the hard sell?" Ha!

I was £118 lighter in the pocket.

Good to see you got it sorted for a reasonable price in the end mate.

That is the beauty and whole point of this forum and threads like these. We are all here to help each other by sharing our experiences and solutions for the benefit of others.

sorry late on the above troubles just had mine done £82 couple weeks ago, ball joint £23.12. Big sign of this is a creaking noise when turning or if you push the bonnet on the side of the noise it will creak, it sounds bad and makes you think megga bucks but easy fix

Neil, you're a legend for putting that video up! I was getting paranoid with the sound, but it's definitely the ball joint as I've got the identical sound. Cheers bud :)