What's new

DAB Radio Install

RussellS

Members
Reaction score
Car
59 Tourer i-DTEC EX
Hi, I have just finished fitting a DAB radio into my 8th gen Accord tourer and this is how I went about it. I will have to break this down into two posts as I don't think the forum software will allow all the pictures I want in one post.

I had this DAB radio in my 7th gen for about 3 years prior to this and I really wouldn't be without it.

The DAB radio itself is this one which I purchased from DabOnWheels.co.uk along with an upgraded mag mount aerial. Although it is one of the cheaper ones it has been absolutely faultless with virtually no signal dropout at all. In the 3 years I've used it on my 7th gen I can count on one hand the number of times it has lost the signal, and even then it was only momentary.

The unit itself consists of a base unit that can be mounted virtually anywhere in the car out of sight and a control unit which they call a pod which obviously requires mounting within easy reach of the driving position. The two units are linked by a flat 8 way cable with an RJ45 connector each end. This cable can be replaced with a standard computer network cable which is what I have done to get the correct length.

Firstly I needed to find a convenient location for the two units. For the base unit I found a perfect location next to the sat nav DVD drive under the rear loadspace floor:

IMG_0253_Scaled.jpg

As you can see there is provision already for something to be mounted there (perhaps for a foreign market) so I just needed to make an adapter plate to mount onto those two bolts with fixings for the DAB base unit.

For the control unit I decided to mount it onto the silver trim below the right hand air vent next to the drivers door. The mounting bracket that comes with the unit wasn't suitable for this position so I manufactured a new bracket myself.
Here is a picture of the base unit, the control unit and the adapter plate which I made.

IMGP9724_Scaled.jpg

This is the final result of the base unit mounted onto the adapter plate:

IMGP9725_Scaled.jpg

I had a piece of scrap steel laying around which was ideal. I cut it down to size & smoothed all the edges and rounded corners etc so that cables wouldn't get snagged and then sprayed it to make it look nice and also to stop it rusting.
Firstly, here is the plate cut, filed, smoothed and drilled ready for spraying:

IMG_0244_Scaled.jpg

....and here it is after a couple of coats of primer and a few coats of mat black spray paint:

IMG_0259_Scaled.jpg

...and then with the mounting hardware to keep the unit clear of the bolts already in the car:

IMGP9712_Scaled.jpg

This was then fitted into the car and bolted down onto the already present mounting bolts......

IMG_0279_Scaled.jpg

....followed by the unit itself bolted down onto the plate:

IMG_0281_Scaled.jpg

Now the control unit:

This is the final result required:

Pod.jpg

...and here is the bracket itself initially manufactured and then drilled and sprayed. The last picture shows why it is the shape it is and how the unit slides down onto the bracket:

Bracket.jpg

Here is the bracket screwed to the trim piece and also the strengthening plate fitted to the back (obviously a test run before it was sprayed):

Bracket3.jpg

Wiring Up:

For the wiring I needed to get the control (network) cable from the base unit to the control unit and also the audio cable from the base unit to the Aux in socket in the centre console storage bin. I ran the two cables in split convoluted conduit to keep it neeat and match the factory wiring loom.

IMG_0295_Scaled-1.jpg

Im ran the cables under door sil trim pieces and then up behind the bonnet release lever and up to the control unit. I then continued the audio cable behind the dash board and then inside the centrew console to the storage bin:

Cables.jpg

I then drilled a 9.5mm hole into the storage bin underneath the Aux/USB/power connectors and fitted a sealed gromet which I slit to push the audio cable through into the storage bin. I then soldered a 3.5mm right angled connector onto the cable:

AudioCable.jpg

The cable originally had a moulded straight connector on the end. However, I decided to cut this of and fit the new one for two reasons. Firstly, I would have needed to dril a 13mm hole into the storage bin to get the plug through and secondly, it would be very easy to damage the connector or socket with a straight plug in the Aux socket. The right angled plug is much neater.

Aerial:

Now we come to the aerial. There are a few choices for the type of aerial you can use.

1. Internal window mounted aerial. These give generally poor reception with a lot of signal drop out.
2. External window mounted aerial. this is the type where you have the base with the cable attached glued to the internal window surface and the aerial base glued to the outside surface. The signal is coupled through the glass without any physical connection between the two pieces. This would be ideal but unfortunately youy need to keep it away from the demister elements on the windows and on the Accord there isn't any glass surface at the rear where there isn't any demister elements. So that option was out.
3. Body mounted aerial. This would be the ultimate solution where the aerial is permenantly fitted to the roof. However, there is absolutely no way I am drilling a hole in the roof of my new car. So that option is out as well.
4. Mag mounted aerial. This is an aerial with a magnetic base which you attach to the roof of the car. Obviously, you need to have the cable going to the aerial which spoils the look a little but if you position it well this is minimised. This is the option I have gone for and is the same as I had for 3 years on my 7th gen. Niot once in those 3 years did the aerial detach itself from the roof.

Aerial.jpg
My car isn't actually dirty, the photo was taken as the light was starting to fade and the flash reflected of the black roof making it look horrible. I have also stuck a layer of felt to the bottom of the mag mount to protect the paint work.

The cable is fed under the rubber boot seal down to the bottom where it enters the boot under the load space floor and then back to the DAB base unit.

So this is the final result. Everything else is hidden:

IMG_0297_Scaled.jpg

I would like to thank Brett for his advice on getting the centre console top trim off

Excellent post!!! Pointage on the way.

Brett... what have you been up to under your console? :rolleyes:

Really good write up, such a neat install. Really impressed with the brackets you made and the trouble you went to to match the factory wiring looms!

Excellent post!!! Pointage on the way.
Thank you very much

Really good write up, such a neat install. Really impressed with the brackets you made and the trouble you went to to match the factory wiring looms!
Thanks for the kind comment. I do like things to be neat and properly done even when they are hidden from view and the split conduit I used is readily available on eBay quite cheaply.

Yeah nice one Russell, I can see a very professional install. Well done B)

Great install russell this will help lots of members