What's new

Dashboard strange message won't clear

Joyful

Reaction score
Car
Mk8 2009 Tourer 2.2
The touchscreen on my 2006 estate has a warning message that will not clear (see screenshot).

It runs through some sort of engine testing when the engine starts, but when all the boxes change from red to green if freezes and just stays there. There are buttons for stopping, but nothing works.

Once driving it stays on the screen and I can not change to maps or audio input. Fortunately I can still go to Climate Contol screen manually.

I spoke to my local Honda dealer (Rowes Plymouth) and the man at service reception said there was a minimum charge of £120 to plug in the diagnostics. He also said that the diagnostic programme might not clear the fault as it could be just a communication problem between the ECU and the touch screen, like a wiring fault. Which the diagnostics would not be able to clear.

So, first I would like to get access to the back of the screen to check the connections.

Can anyone offer help in describing how to lever the dashboard panels off to get to the back of the screen.

The touchscreen on my 2006 estate has a warning message that will not clear (see screenshot).

It runs through some sort of engine testing when the engine starts, but when all the boxes change from red to green if freezes and just stays there. There are buttons for stopping, but nothing works.

Once driving it stays on the screen and I can not change to maps or audio input. Fortunately I can still go to Climate Contol screen manually.

I spoke to my local Honda dealer (Rowes Plymouth) and the man at service reception said there was a minimum charge of £120 to plug in the diagnostics. He also said that the diagnostic programme might not clear the fault as it could be just a communication problem between the ECU and the touch screen, like a wiring fault. Which the diagnostics would not be able to clear.

So, first I would like to get access to the back of the screen to check the connections.

Can anyone offer help in describing how to lever the dashboard panels off to get to the back of the screen.

Attachments

• 20220309_155912_1.jpg
    20220309_155912_1.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 23
Pretty sure if you move the navigation arrows and select exit diag it'll get you out of that screen

Pretty sure if you move the navigation arrows and select exit diag it'll get you out of that screen
Screen does not allow any touch access. And the external cursor and navigation controls and all the buttons dont react. It is frozen apart from the switch to manual climate screen.

My mk8 has a rotary control behind the up down left right buttons. The rotary control lets me jump between selections then enter with a push of the that main control wheel.

I know the mk7 just uses just up down left right and no rotary wheel so I'm out of suggestions apart from that I'm sure another 7th gen user has experienced this before and help you with a fix.

You've probably already tried but what about the back arrow button next to the menu button?

My mk8 has a rotary control behind the up down left right buttons. The rotary control lets me jump between selections then enter with a push of the that main control wheel.

I know the mk7 just uses just up down left right and no rotary wheel so I'm out of suggestions apart from that I'm sure another 7th gen user has experienced this before and help you with a fix.

You've probably already tried but what about the back arrow button next to the menu button?
Everything is frozen. The touch screen and all the wheels, ups and downs and sideways, knobs and buttons.

What I am asking is how to open up the dashboard and pull out the screen to check the wiring connections to the ECU behind.

Any suggestions or YouTube videos?

I've only had experience with my mk8 but keep tuning in on here and somebody with mk7 will talk you through what trim to remove to get to the screws in order to get the screen out.

Have you searched for any info about doing this?

I've done something similar on my daughters a3 audi.

Don't know if this is similar to yours:

I've only had experience with my mk8 but keep tuning in on here and somebody with mk7 will talk you through what trim to remove to get to the screws in order to get the screen out.
Thank you. I am hoping so.

I would try an overnight battery disconnect or pull the fuse for the audio system

I would try an overnight battery disconnect or pull the fuse for the audio system
I have tried brief battery disconnect, say 1 minute, with no effect.

Would a longer disconnect have more chance of clearing the screen?

Yes it’s worth a try.