What's new

Decision Time

Grayedout

Members
Reaction score
Following on from the Oil Pump Chain thread then it looks like it's decision time regarding fixing the Tourer!

Pros:
2004 car
147,000 miles but was running sweet especially since the Fahad re-map
Tow bar which I need
Just put four new tyres on it.
Exec version and love all the toys
Got a new air con compressor on its' way for it so would soon have that working again
Satisfies all my requirements

Cons:
Repair is going to be between £1,000 - £1,500 I expect
Unsure what other damage may have been done during ~20secs of running without oil prressure
Does the value of the car warrant spending that amount?

Could buy a similar car for that amount but will it have had the exhaust manifold fix? the timing chain replaced?

Do I spend a little more and go for an 8th generation? Are they better or worse?

I think it's time to cut your losses really mate. Use it as an excuse to upgrade to a nice 8th gen Type S Tourer.

Once the engine has been opened up it will never really feel right and you'll have ongoing issues with leaking injectors, oil seals etc etc.

F6HAD said:
I think it's time to cut your losses really mate. Use it as an excuse to upgrade to a nice 8th gen Type S Tourer.

Once the engine has been opened up it will never really feel right and you'll have ongoing issues with leaking injectors, oil seals etc etc.
Completely on the fence at the moment. Want to stick with a diesel due to the towing ability and enjoying the torque.

Spending £1,500 on this car will hopefully give me a fully repaired car that I know is right (as long as there is no other damage)

Alternatively I could spend £1,500 on a similar replacement but then not know it's faults and condition!

Its like having your dog put down! I sympathise mate, we are just waiting for our 2004 Vtec tourer to become too expensive to repair, I bloody love the car...

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Greydout.

What to spend and how much is always a nightmare in situations like this. If the rest of the car is ok and your'e happy with it, you could go down the used engine route if you can get one with all it's ancillaries better, before dropping it in, you could also fit new chains, and possibly a clutch as well, could well be DIY manageable on your expected high cost of £1500.

EG:- £500 lump, 500 chains & guides, clutch £500, or if your old one is salvageable re use it, (these things are easily fitted with lump out of the car ) then £500 for labour to fit by others, if you are not a DIYer.

If you strip the old engine of usable parts you could also have a supply of spares to hand ie injectors, turbo fuel rail etc. for future use.

Not an easy one by any means.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

TJ

I had a chat with my mechanic tonight for you. He said you're looking at between £350-£400 labour + parts for him to do it. It's a subframe off and engine out job. Happy to put you in touch with him if you want to have it recovered to Bradford but in any case at least it's a guide price.

Cliffordski said:
Worth test driving an 8th Gen before deciding I’d suggest.
If you do then there will be no contest! the 7 has got to go, Also are you clear in the rust (rear wheel arches) dept?

I'm also in the market for a new Tourer, was rearended on Tuesday car is in bad shape in the rear and front has light damage.
Looking at 8th Gen now but am reluctant to get such a small boot, the 7th Gen FL I had was great for space.
Unfortunately the way tax works here I need to get under 155g co2 to have reasonable tax which limits choice somewhat.

Looking at the Co2 figures there is a big disparity in Co2 emissions between different model tourers some are 143g and others up to 157g
Is there any definitive list of emissions per model /year?
or is it the GT aero pack lowers emissions?

Thanks, that helps but I guess its really dependent on the exact car, Its not such a big deal on the UK system but over here in ROI, the band between 155 to 157 means a jump from €390pa to €570pa which is quite a lot.

141 - 155

156 - 170