What's new

Diesel coolant radiator leak

n1ks0n

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-CDTI
The radiator started leaking from bottom edges where it meets the support. I have been replacing the turbo and car has been sitting for a while without coolant. While working from under i saw that the bottom radiator edges and the bumper below are wet even with coolant drained. I was shocked because I have not touched the radiator. This started from nothing. It is not coming from any of the hoses or plugs. I'm really shocked. I proceeded to fill with coolant anyways because I wanted to test the turbo. Everything works fine except I'm still getting wetness from the radiator bottom. Is this even possible? Do I have to buy a new radiator?

Coincidence most likely - if it's definitely the radiator best change it before it goes altogether and leaves you stranded.

Well, I have driven it only a couple of miles. The coolant stays just below Min (it has always been like this through the years no matter how much you fill it will drop there). I'm concerned because I see the coolant drip slowly. First the bottom corner on the driver side was wet and had drops, then i saw the passenger side corner and now I see coolant leaking from center of the front bumper. I've looked if the leak is coming from the top but not. I have spent so much money on the car and now the radiator :/.

Check the plastic screw on the bottom of the radiator. On this screw there shoud be and rubber seal/o-ring

It seems that the leak is gone. I really can't understand Honda coolant levels. The expansion tank has two compartments from what I see. The one where you pour the new coolant and the other where the level is measured. The coolant has dropped 1 cm below Min where it always has been staying and seems stable. Now the two compartments have equal level. I'm really confused with Honda expansion tank and level. Could someone explain what is happening?

My coolant level has always seemed bit unusual... If I leave it on 'minimum' it stays there indefinitely, but if I top it up to 'maximum' then it very slowly sheds coolant until it gets down near to 'minimum' again (you can smell it faintly as the level drops).

Jon_G said:
My coolant level has always seemed bit unusual... If I leave it on 'minimum' it stays there indefinitely, but if I top it up to 'maximum' then it very slowly sheds coolant until it gets down near to 'minimum' again (you can smell it faintly as the level drops).
Exactly! Good that I'm not the only one encountering this.

Hi all. Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm wondering if low coolant level is normal (as above) or if I should investigate a coolant leak. About 7 months ago I experienced this http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/24568-05-diesel-accelerator-pedal-stops-working/ but only one occasion so I thought nothing of it. 3 months later it happened again, but only on one occasion. Two months ago I noticed that hot air from the heater was not on demand. A month ago after a 15 minute drive I noticed that the temp gauge was at 75% so I topped up to maximum and both gauge and heater are fine.

I read the above link yesterday so I think accelerator and coolant level are linked.

I checked the coolant level last night and it's below minimum mark.

If the heater is fine should I not worry about the coolant level unless I get an accelerator issue again?

Thanks all.