What's new

Diesel Service Fluids

nodrogs

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2
Does anyone know roughly how much brake fluid is required for a fluid change? Also, am I best to keep with the honda stuff or is it ok to go for the stuff OPIE sell (coolant, brake and gear box)?

Thanks.

Stick to Honda MTF3 for the gearbox - you need 2.2 litres

Stick to Honda longlife coolant (don't know quantity)

DOT 5.1 fluid should be ok, something like Motul - 3 bottles is plenty. You want to remove around 250ml from each corner really.

I use Motul 5.1 its got a higher boiling point not that I will ever need it for road use, so you can always save your pennies and get dot 4.

If you syringe out the old fluid in the reserviour first you should be able to get away with 2 x 500ml bottles, but it never hurts to have a third handy just incase. On a side note once a bottle is open its only good for a few months so dont be tempted to use any old opended bottles you have lying around.

Coolant the motul stuff opie sell is good but nowt wrong with the Honda coolant as Faddy said either just whats easiest to get hold of and price I guess.

Gear box I would stick with Honda MTF3 simply because others experiences with different brands including Motul have been that MTF3 is better.

Been on to my local honda dealer. Gearbox oil around £12/litre, Coolant £18/5 litres, Brake £4/250ml inc vat. Not too bad to be honest.

While I was on priced a 75k service - £303! Only includes brake fluid so its £439 including coolant and gearbox! Did happen to mention that I've been quoted around £260 from an independant including all honda parts. Didn't come down on price, mentioned I'd be paying extra for honda trained technicians, courtesy car (which the independant provides as well). Of course, I'm also paying for my tyre pressures to be checked and windscreen fluid to be topped up...

LOL.. You're paying for their stamp in the book.. But if I was going to go buy a car I'd rather see paperwork of what parts have gone into the service history, rather than just a stamp.

I serviced my mum's Yaris over the weekend. Easy peasy.. but I swear, the ICTDI is even easier to do! (except the fuel filter of course).

Yes, I don't think on a car this age now it'll add much to the value having their stamp. As you say its more important having the paperwork supporting the work. It'll either be an independant or my local mechanic (who at least i know will do what I ask him and use the parts I give him) who'll be getting the work.

Got another two quotes over the weekend. The same dealer network, different branch - £310 for the same work! Or, a different dealer, but further away - £200! All honda approved dealers etc.

Thats a big difference in price Steven it proves how much dealers are making.Personally i agree with Fahad and i think i will be going down the same road by doing my own servicing from now.

if you are handy with a spanner and have a half decent socket set, I'd recommend you DIY the service. Only downfall to this is if there are any ECU updates available, you wont be getting them. However, on the whole, you could probably get 3 or more services DIY compared to a dealer. Just maek sure you stick to genuine Honda parts only. If buying on ebay, internet, etc, just make sure the parts are genuine. We are also lucky enough to have a good deal with an oil supplier thanks to Andy. 25 litre tank of oil 0w 30 for about £90 quid i think, do a search and it should come up.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-BRAKE-FLUID-DOT4-genuine-Honda-brake-fluid-/200536479279?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb0e7d62f

is this what i need?

Just about to get some gearbox oil and they come in 1 litre bottles! and i need 2.2?

That link is brake fluid mate..

Just buy from Holdcroft, forget ebay.

yes of course they do. call parts and mention to any one of them that you are a TA member..