What's new

Differences between Tourer and Sedan

julekasMobilek

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Hello guys, I am looking to buy a used car, and my history about cars well taught me, that more reliable car than honda is difficult to find :)
So currently Im looking into sedans of accord 2,2 i-dtec... But my dad says that tourer is better, because it is more all rounder in every way.

So please guys, help me to decide, what is the difference between these to body styles?

Are there differences in a suspension?
My third car was a civic with 2.2 ictdi, i was happy with it, but lately the clutch began to slip, and eventually i sold it, then my last car, which i bought was a coupe 330D of BMW division, but i knew, that BMW 5 series sedan and tourer was very different in suspension, because in a tourer the rear suspension was air controlled and other people have had many problems with air compressors, hoses etc. What about accords?
As far as i know there is only difference in the springs? Ones in tourer are more stiffer?
Also I'm looking for executive variant (do not know how it sounds in England, my guess is that EX GT?), which is loaded with electronic, starting with electrical seats and ending with sat-nav system. Any of these components tend to break, fail?

I know that in older engine variants N22A have MAASIVE problems with DMF and slipping clutch, but the main cause of the problem was a a faulty clutch pressure plate, does the same thing happen with this newer engine?

I also read the thread about tips and tricks to check before buying, it will help a lot.

Thanks.

The extra load space is the only genuine consideration when making this choice.

It depends how much you need it.

Personally I wouldn't be without it so I would choose a tourer every time.

But if you don't need the space a saloon is a no-brainer because it's quicker, handles better, and is cheaper to run.

You have 3 engine options:
2.0 petrol (in my opinion is not enough power for that body and weight) - no problems with that engine
2.4 petrol - lots of power, awesome engine, hard to destroy (unless you didn't change oil for couple years, didn't change air filter...etc) - Best engine! I can recommended! No problem at all with that engine!
2.2 diesel - two version of power (148bhp and 180bhp - only on Type S) - good and very economical engines but big problem with blocking DPF. You can remove and put new maps on it - more power, torque and no problem again.

Choice is yours and that deepens how many miles are you do.
IMO up to 10-12k miles - petrol, more then 12k miles - diesel

That's a fair summary in my opinion. The 2.2 has by far the most electronic tuning options and tons of members run uprated 2.2s of some sort. Bundles of low end torque etc... The 2.4 petrol is a very solid block. I've covered nearly 100K in mine and whilst other bits of the car have given me grief, the engine itself is solid and feels great. But you do need to check the oil every 1000 miles or so. They run a thin, synthetic oil and rev very high. Handbook and Honda mechanics think nothing of topping up a litre every 1000 miles. I tend to top up a litre ever 1500 or so.

I've not driven a 2.0. My friend's Dad went a 7th Gen 2.4 auto an 8th gen 2.0 auto as his 7th gen was getting older and he fancied a newer car. Misses the power a bit, but still loves his 8th gen. Has no complaints.

julekasMobilek said:
currently Im looking into sedans of accord 2,2 i-dtec... But my dad says that tourer is better, because it is more all rounder in every way.

So please guys, help me to decide, what is the difference between these to body styles?

Are there differences in a suspension?
There is a difference in the suspension, on the Saloon (sedan) the rear suspension is multi-link, on the Tourer the rear suspension is trailing-arm (simpler layout). As a normal car in normal driving, IMO trailing arm is better for maintenance.

However, the rear brakes are also different (not sure of 8th gen). On the 7th gen Saloon the handbrake is integral in the caliper, but on the 7th gen Tourer the handbrake is a separate drum brake (drum is integral in the disc).

Yes, Brian's on point here. The reason the 7th gen tourer has the trailing arm suspension is that it allows for more boot space, of which the 7th gen has tones of. It's absolutely huge when you fold the seats down. I've driven both saloon and tourer and it's fair to say the saloon feels a little better in the corners, especially at speed, but honestly, I own a tourer, I've lowered it on lowering springs and love the thing. I don't think the handling difference should be too big a concern unless you're a seriously enthusiastic driver...

The cars are identical up to the B pillar (between front and rear doors) and after that they are different. If you're into modifying, the tourer has significantly less options as understandably manufacturers of performance parts don't focus on estates! The exhaust takes a different route down the car to the saloon as well, so they're not interchangeable either.

And as Brian says, the rear brakes on the tourer are disc, but the hand brake is drum, whereas the hand brake on the saloon is the disc. This is likely to be related to some expectation that the car may be parked with heavy loads in the rear of the car. It's in my opinion a better hand brake design than relying on the disc alone.

The 8th gen the tourer has the same suspension as the saloon. Better handling, negative impact on boot space, which is really noticeable when you see an 8th gen tourer in the flesh. The boot is so much smaller.

Wow!
Thanks guys for your opinions.
In Lithuania, there are no difference in taxes if you drive a diesel or a petrol (MOT is a little bit expensive for diesels).
And so I drive max 30k kilometers a year, so again, i do not know if it would be cheaper to drive a diesel or a petrol.
In addition to this, there a very rare models with 2,4L (which are usually Executive ones), on the other hand, 180HP diesel engine is also rarity in here.
So the only options are 150hp diesel and 2,0 petrol. I just took an eye into advertisement, every 2,0L are very basic models, without any electronic gizmos :)

Back to suspensions, i just looked into http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17TL4A01&block_02=B__2900&block_03=1203&block_05=hcr parts catalouge, and it seems that suspension is identical in tourer and sedan, unless i'm wrong.

And what about paint quality is it very easily chipped by stones or much harder? My 2006 Civic had very poor quality paint, and it was easily chipped by stones.

julekasMobilek said:
Back to suspensions, i just looked into http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17TL4A01&block_02=B__2900&block_03=1203&block_05=hcr parts catalouge, and it seems that suspension is identical in tourer and sedan, unless i'm wrong.
You are correct, as Steve says, the rear suspension is the same on 8th gen Tourer and Saloon, I forgot that this is 8th gen section so I was talking 7th gen (slight "brain fart" on my part).

Honda put multi-link suspension on the Tourer on the 8th gen, which makes the Tourer boot smaller on the 8th gen compared with 7th gen Tourer

Regarding rear brakes, AFAIK the 8th gen Tourer has the same rear brakes as 7th gen Tourer, where a caliper-on-disc is the main brake, with drum brake for the parking brake. This is known as DIH (Drum In Hat), and DIH are heavier and more costly to make, but DIH supposedly gives a better grip when the car is not moving. So DIH is supposedly better as a parking brake. But if one wants to do handbrake turns DIH is not as good as integral caliper-on-disc handbrake, because DIH does not lock the brakes so well when the car is moving. Mind you, I could be wrong, because although I have tried handbrake turns on my Tourer and found that nothing happens, I haven't tried handbrake turns on the Saloon.

edit: IIRC some of the 8th gen Saloons have DIH parking brake too, for some unknown Honda reason

According to Parkers the saloon has a bigger boot. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Saloon
Wheelbase

2705 mm

Luggage Capacity

460 litres

Fuel Capacity

65 litres

Turning Circle

11 m

Unbraked Towing Weight

500 kg

Braked Towing Weight

1500 kg

Tourer
Wheelbase

2705 mm

Luggage Capacity

406 litres

Fuel Capacity

65 litres

Turning Circle

11 m

Unbraked Towing Weight

500 kg

Braked Towing Weight

1100 kg

The braked trailer towing limits outlined above are for different engines/gearboxes.

The 2.2 i DTEC manual has a braked trailer maximum of 1500 kg - 1700 kg, depending on model. The auto has a maximum braked weight of 1100 kg.

The 2.0 i VTEC (manual & auto) has a braked maximum of 1500 kg.

The 2.4 i VTEC (manual and auto) has a braked maximum of 1600 kg.

Regarding paint quality I have owned a Civic (57 plate), a CRV (59 plate) and my present Accord Tourer. The Accord paint is by far the best of the three (Japanese paint?) and is virtually unmarked after 18K miles. In comparison the CRV, in polished metal, had several deep bonnet chips within a year, particularly noticeable because of the white base coat.

I totally agree with Grandad about the paint. Japan paint is far better finish. No orange peel at all. Even a brand new mazda isnt as good as the accord on paint quality.

This forum is a saver, before i was kinda scared buying a tourer without knowing about it, and i was looking just into saloons... but it seems they are identical cars, just a little big luggage space... Even a wheel base is the same, as someone says it is the same car until b pillar :) also it is fantastic news that paint is far better than a civics (or crvs).

Here in LT we used to cut out these DPF filter when they clog up, and with mapper we can combine with a little smoke and power increase. I did not like that power increase, because it is bad for DMF and clutch and cloud of black smokes, but if we can remove dpf without smoke it is good news.

I've a 2L petrol auto crv now but the accord was 190 bhp and was quick when I needed it to be. It also gave me over 50 mpg. If you search the forum a got over 60mpg on a few occasions. I never noticed any black smoke from 2nd gear WOT. I think I only ever looked twice to see if there was smoke. It was from another forum that some said the new diesel burns cleaner but like I said I have no idea if it's true or not. My accord was about 5 second faster than what I have now but I don't mind.

It is possible to get copies of the Honda e-manual (DVD) for the 7th gen Accord (all engines, all body styles and trim levels), but I have never seen or heard of a copy of the Honda e-manual for the 8th gen

Note that 7th gen Accord is 2003-2008, and 8th gen Accord is 2008-2015
In the USA the same car is sold as Acura TSX, over in the USA the Honda Accord is quite a bit different.

So try searching for something like "e-manual for 8th gen Acura TSX" or maybe "e-manual Honda Accord 2008-2015"