What's new

Dipped Beam Replacement

stonking

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen 2.2 Exc
Come on this must be some kind of joke. I was just quoted £66.00 to replace my dipped beams. Looking on line, some people talk about removing the bumper to do this (does anyone know of a guide for removing the bumper?). I have removed the screws and pulled back the liner but I do not see any wires going to what looks like it could be in the area of the dipped beam. Anyone more experienced at this who can give me some advice. Both beams went at the same time and the user manual is not that helpful or maybe it is and this is just an impossible job.

Thanks

Stephen

The correct meathod is as the book says.
But trust me it's easier to take the bumper off and remove the lights.
It's takes about 40 min or you can be over an hour with the other meathod.
Hence why honda quoted you £66
If both light has failed have you checked your fuses as this is very unlikely

Thanks TA, any chance you can point me at somewhere that says how to remove the bumper?

Thanks

Stephen

OK so I have done the drivers side. I can offer no tips other than just keep trying. Rips your arm to bits on the wheel arch but that's just what happens. I am now onto the passengers side and that is just impossible. Does anyone know how to remove the air intake. I have pulled and pulled as best you can under a car inside a wheel arch but it is not coming off. Can I just remove all that piping and have just the intake box and filter?

Honda, what were you thinking.

Stephen

Fuel filter replacement on the 7th gen diesel is a complete joke... why may it so damn awkward when it is a regular service item?

OK so I completed the task. Took about 2 hrs. Drivers side was as per the book although I did have to us a hammer and long screwdriver to loosen the cover to the light. My fingers were not strong enough. Then it's very much like the 7th generation, working blindly and doing your best. The passengers side I could only do by using a hammer again to get the air duct off (maybe I am just weak) and then removing the air filter box and duct work inside the engine bay so that I could use two hands, one going in through the engine bay, one up through the wheel arch to undo the light cover again. I have a nice indentation in my thumb now from the cover removal. Then it's working blind again. better taking the bumper off? Well as I have not found somewhere that tells me how to do that I do not know. They say it only takes an hour that way so maybe it is. I have put night breakers in but I now realise that to be a mistake. I should not have gone for brightness but long life.

Stephen

^ I was going to do a DIY on removing the 7th gen front bumper, but IIRC someone else beat me to it, should be somewhere in the 7th gen DIY area. I would expect the 8th gen bumper to be similar. When you get used to it (I've taken the front bumper off my car several times) it doesn't take long, the biggest thing to be aware of it that they use different length screws and plastic clips, and I found that the Honda dealers are NOT careful in putting the correct ones back in the correct holes :mad:

Yeah its a pig of a job, did mine last year. Strange as everything else on the 8th gen is easy

Thanks for the link. I will keep this for next time. Must be easier than the craziness that is going in through the wheel arch. I think the 7th gen taught me well so that this time when you have to do it completely blind you do have some idea what is supposed to be happening. I pity the poor fool who does this for the first time.