What's new

Disappointing Dash Lights

Nathylad

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Sport
I changed my lights today from the standard orange as a few of them had blown and put blue ones in.

To be honest, I think they're a bit rubbish to be honest.

Can I have some honest opinions? I am parked under a lamppost mind so it may have had an impact.

Also, I can't seem to get light on the lower end of the speedo. I don't know why this is.

92EAAD64-2DD5-4B4C-8AB8-7D4539863E00.jpg

May be a silly question but have you adjusted the dimmer to the top? its located between the rev and speedo counters.

May be a connection issue regards to why that bit isn't lighting up, maybe test another speedo and see if it does the same

Yeah I cranked them up as high as I could. It's pretty poor isn't it!

I'll take it out and give it another go today and see what happens.

I'm ***uming you've used LED's.

I changed mine to white LED's and have done other cars as well. The biggest thing to be aware of is if the lights are filtered in any way (luckily on these Accords they are not) and the design of the LED's can have a major effect on how well they illuminate things. Once fitted it's very rare that the light will shine straight through from where it's mounted. Quite often it is bounced around inside the unit in order to try and give an even spread.

Your ones there look to have a very low light output and I'm sure make things rather difficult to see when you're driving at night. The other half of the speedo may be that the LED is in the wrong way - take it out, spin it 180 degrees and stick it back in.If that doesn't do it have a fiddle with the contacts and make sure there's a decent connection. Did it light up before the swap?

In an old Corolla I had I went through about 5 or 6 different styles of green LED's to try and find a good set up that closely resembled the factory style but better. In my Accord I was lucky and got a decent result first time. The best advice I can give really is take your time and order up a few different types from eBay (China/Hong Kong for cheapy) and fiddle around.

Have a look through this post where I helped someone else and linked to the units I'm currently using and you may get some ideas of what to look for and some hiccups I had along the way:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/22350-climate-control-lights-and-changing-the-colour-of-dash-bulbs/

Looks like some of the leds are not working imo. Have you checked all are on?

Thanks for the great advice guys. I shall enjoy getting to grips with the dash again today and I'll order some more lights as you say off eBay and post some updates as I get them.