What's new

DIY 6th Gen Air Filter Howto

AndyB1976

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 F18B2 CG8
6th Gen SOHC F18B2 Air Filter Howto

This is my 6th Gen SOHC F18B2(f18b3,f20b6) Air Filter Howto.

One of the easier jobs on the 6th Gen, just requiring simple tools or a spanner.

Tool List
1. 1/4” Ratchet
2. 1/4” 10mm Deep Socket

With the bonnet up and secure you want to identify the air filter housing as we will be opening it up later. It is just to the left of the battery

1battery_removal_tn1_zps9501afb2.jpg

I always remove the battery for ease of access. You might find you don't need to, but I've tried and don't want to damage or rip the new filter. I also want to ensure its properly seated and not pinched anywhere. If you do decide to remove your battery you will need your radio code and will also need to reset the Auto Window function once its reconnected.

Disconnect the (BLACK) Negative cable, followed by the (RED) positive cable.

A single socket as long as its a deep one can be used on the battery posts but it is needed on the clamp securing J Bolts. A spanner will also do the job if you don't have a deep socket.

Take the clamp out the way noting its orientation, then lift the half-cover off and then take the battery out. The battery will be a little heavy so be aware when you lift.

Once the battery is out then twist and pull up on the Air Intake Tube

10atube_tn1_zpsb06d7085.jpg

Now just unclip the two spring clips
3springclips_tn1_zpsdccb363f.jpg

At the back of the Air Intake Housing are two tabs. You just need lift the housing up and forward and slide the tabs out.
4tabbs_tn1_zps9cf59a5b.jpg

The air filter should then be obvious. Take a look at its orientation and if the plastic frame is offset in any way ensure you put the new back in the same manner. Any debris should be on the underside with the top side being spotless indicating good filtration and good maintenance. Annually I'll vacuum or blow compressed through an old filter. If you decide to try this (and its not really recommended) then be careful not to damage the filter. In no circumstances invert the filter to present a clean side down as your engine vacuum will then suck the trapped debris straight into your throttle body and intake manifold.

5filter_tn1_zps89ee8f61.jpg

6filter_out_tn1_zpsa081c939.jpg

Underside of air filter.
7filterunderside_tn1_zpsbf8781b4.jpg

Reinstallation is the reverse of removal

Ensure the tabs are properly seated
8tabs_tn1_zpsd1e8a732.jpg

Ensure the filter housing is flush, square and the spring tabs engaged
9closedclips_tn1_zps68c050f8.jpg

Reinstall your Intake Tube (don't forget ;) )
2tubea_tn1_zpsb15d4a7c.jpg

Battery clamps and bolt securing.

This is the proper clamp orientation. It can be a bit fiddly installing the long J Bolts and the clamp whilst keeping the bolts hooked on the catch underneath. Its easier to install the right hand side bolt, then slip the longer side of the clamp over. As the left side is short it doesn't need as much clearance to lift over and seat. Tighten the bolts down snug but not too tight to crack the battery case.

11clamp_tn1_zps48517888.jpg

12rightjbolt_tn1_zpsbba31e1e.jpg

13leftjbolt_tn1_zps28b86527.jpg

Now attach your (RED) positive cable, follow by your (Black) Negative battery cable, snug again not over tight.

Power window reset procedure

Press window button down, when fully down keep the button down for 5 secs. Then pull up on the button, when window fully up keep button up for 5 secs – this should enable 'Auto' window. This is one action, do not let go the button until the very end.

Dude! You are on fire with the write-ups at the moment. Fantastic stuff man. These write ups of yours are going to help out so many people. Great work man.

Cheers Steve..

I wasn't sure if there was much demand for these but as exec required the information I thought I might as well upload. The fun thing is the time split of doing the job vs photographing, writing, proof reading, double checking again is about 90/10 in favour of the latter lol. Working on cars is far easier than writing HowTos lol :lol: .

And that's exactly why this stuff is so appreciated man. These are seriously good quality write-ups.

yep much appreciated man, these are great write ups B) , i know its a PITA writing stuff up like this, so very much appreciated :blush:

Another great write up Andy these will help our 6th gen owners greatly

Nice one Andy - hopefully other members will be inspired by these to start DIY servicing themselves.