What's new

DIY 6th Gen Driver Door Card Removal.

AndyB1976

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 F18B2 CG8
Honda Accord 98-02 6th Gen Driver Door Card Removal.

Preliminary steps and info.

Not many tools required to get this off, however still a bit awkward the first time you try to get one of these off.

Tool List

1. Trim Panel Removal Tool – plastic versions might be more forgiving to trim and bodywork
2. Philips PH2 (I used a Pozi PZ2 and it just worked)
3. PH1 (as above)
4. Small Pry blade to remove door screw cap – a bradawl worked for me here
5. Pliers – I felt these bent needle nosed worked best for me

1tools_tn1_zps16d71f22.jpg

Battery

When I work anywhere near electrics I disconnect the battery negative cable. There are three loom plugs for the windows, mirrors and locks which you need to disconnect. If you don't have your radio code then you might want to leave it connected, but I always disconnect it.

Removing the door card.

External Clip

I started at the trim clip just to the left of the inner handle. Usually you just press the centre peg in a little, it might click then you can prise out the whole clip.

2externalclip_tn1_zpscbb8debd.jpg

3externalclip_tn1_zpsd948a6d2.jpg

Inner Handle

Prise the cap off that covers the screw (PH1) with something small and thin to reduce damage. I used a bradawl here to remove this cap. Once open, carefully turn out the small screw.
4handlescrew_tn1_zps88237988.jpg

Once the screw is out, you need to slide the whole handle mechanism forward about 5-10mm as it is now holding on via plastic hooks. You can see the starting imprint on the door card, this is the mechanism as far forward as you need to slide it.

5slidehandle_tn1_zpsc9e9f0a9.jpg

Now the handle mechanism should come out. It will still be connected to the latch rod so take it easy and try not to damage the rod or rod clip.

6handleout_tn1_zps9d4d7c8a.jpg

You need to remove the rod now. It is held in place with that purple clip.

If you pull the handle, it will pull the rod and clip outward so you can spin off the clip and pull out the rod with far more ease.

7removerodclip_tn1_zps7fe8e000.jpg

Then the rod just lifts out

8removerod_tn1_zps4d0ac2b4.jpg

Power Windows, Mirrors Switch ***embly

This ***embly has a clip up front and a hook on the rear so gently pry on the front and it should then just lift out. Take care not to scratch the interior.

9switchassembly_tn1_zps2b131339.jpg

Once clear the each loom plug requires its latch is squeezed before you can free them from the ***embly. Same as most electrical plugs.
10removeswithcassembly_tn1_zps20dc8c6c.jpg

Wing Mirror Cover

The clip is on top with hooks below so pry down from the top and it should just pop off.

11WingMirrorCover_tn1_zpse9124735.jpg

Door card

Remove two screws from under the handle.

12DoorScrews_tn1_zpsfd6e4844.jpg

The card should now be free to pry off. If you have never done this before you might find it takes more force than you expect. It can sound like you are breaking the panel, you might find some clips break – I broke one of the lower ones.

You want to try and pry as close to the clip as you can. You can usually slide in a removal tool until it contacts a clip then pry on the clip or as close to it. I don't do this stuff often so if there are better techniques on prying panels then let us know.

13TrimRemovaltool_tn1_zpsfbf01ac5.jpg

The door panel once off. Note the clip locations before you start with the trim removal tool so you have a rough idea of where the clips are. Might make it easier if you know where to pry.

14cliplocations_tn1_zpsb8774234.jpg

Once the card is loose you just lift it vertically upward, clear of the door lock button and it should now be off the car.

IMAG0882th_zps7dac96e3.jpg

You might have some problems getting the card back on. Its just getting it lined up at the top that is the main problem. I can't offer any tips, just persevere and it will eventually drop into place and fitting is the reverse of removal.

Great write up mate.

Another awesome guide! This will come in handy.

Mucho gracias Andy!