What's new

DIY Electromagnetic Parking Sensor

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 EX Honda Accord
Hi, guys this is my first ever DIY write up so please be kind :) . I took the photos with my phone and are a bit of low quality so sorry in advance.

The level of difficulty is moderate. I don't have details on how to remove the rear bumper but I'm pretty sure there is one around here which may come in handy.

So enough of that and let's get to it.

I bought this kit off ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360983005329?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT cause it is cheap and require's absolutely no drilling. Now I had my Accord for 5 months now and during that time I hit a small wall and a motorcycle ooops, the damn boot just covers everything up. So parking sensors were a must, especially after painting my bumper.

Well to start off you need to remove the rear bumper and the boot trim. To get the trim off just remove all the plastic clips and pull away from the body. Try and be brave here cause you might think you will tear everything apart but it won't be the case. I used a dash removal tool for the clips and came out with a moderate pull. Also you need to remove the boot door trim. It's also the same, just remove the plastic clips and pull out trim.

It will look something like this.

IMG_20141101_135353.jpg

IMG_20141101_135401.jpg

This is all the trim in a pile ^_^.

IMG_20141101_135343.jpg

Before fitting the tape clean the area where you're going to fit it. I used general purpose wipes and dried it up with kitchen cloth. Make sure it is very clean otherwise it won't stick properly. As you can see I didn't go up around corners otherwise it will pick up objects from the side. When you're left with extra tape just cut it using a blade.

IMG_20141101_151044.jpg

IMG_20141101_151054.jpg

Next up is to route your wiring. I used the 2 wires which connect to the reverse light. So I routed my wires up the left side through the boot arm and up to the reverse light. There I use scotch-locks to tap in the wires. You'll have 2 wires. Red and black. Red is for the power, so I connected that to the green wire (Reverse wire) so that the sensor will power up when reverse gear is in. The black wire connects to the black wire. Very straight forward there.

IMG_20141101_152335.jpg

IMG_20141101_151117.jpg

I placed the module on the side of the body just underneath the tail light. I did this cause the wire that connects to the sensor isn't very long. So that's place I could think of which would be out of the way and safe. The wires that connect to the sensor are the black and white one. I fished that out through a plastic grommet.

IMG_20141101_152341.jpg

IMG_20141101_144740.jpg

Next all you need to do is fit the connector to the sensor. Now this is a bit tricky as you need to hold the bumper up while connecting them up. Once you do that just go ahead and continue to fit bumper back in it's place.

After that done just place the speaker module somewhere to your liking. I placed mine above the tail light. i can hear from the driver's seat but not very loud, just enough to notice it :) .

IMG_20141101_152603.jpg

Put back the trim and admire your work B). Bumper is still clean and no drilling required.

IMG_20141101_160354.jpg

IMG_20141101_160410.jpg

Thanks for your time guys and hope you enjoyed it.

Nice job mate but i have to say i had these in my car and over time they just gave up. I have ended up going for drilled option. I had the parking dynamics kit. If i'm honest i recently sprayed my car because of all the scuffs on the back bumper due to the senors not being effective.

However when i first installed them they were ok, just over time they deteriorated

For now they are effective. I still don't trust them 100% though, but that's just me. I'm not used to rely on them cause this is the first time I had sensors. I wanted a reverse camera but ordered the wrong one and went for this. But till now as I said they are good and consistent.