What's new

DIY injector overhaul

Jamesey

Reaction score
Car
Tourer ES GT 2.2 ide
Hey, new here and what a great forum!

Hoping someone on here might be inspired to help a diy'er with a love for his 2009 2.2 es GT tourer but not a great deal of know-how!

After revent dpf failure and garage said time to get a new car I decided to have a go at cleaning it myself and it worked a treat!

2 weeks later though an injector started popping out the top. Found this forum, various threads and a YouTube video,
. it's BMW but it looked pretty close, and decided to give it a go.

It all went great, 7 fine jets from all tips, back in with new seals and clean seats but car not starting. Sounds like no fuel getting through. Any ideas? Do I need to prime them somehow?

tried the primer bulb? or does the 8th gen not have one? squirting diesel into the intake with a spray bottle while cranking may help and can skip the bleed process entirely but access may be a problem
if all else fails you can get a buddy to help crank to build pressure and then you crack the unions open on the injector side to make sure diesel is pumping through - it's not recommended, but it will sometimes take a bit of ether to get it going.... but hopefully you won't have to :p

Cheers @mlkehunt I think I read the 8th gen is self-priming so though it would all be peachy.
Will try your suggestions. I've got some dpf cleaner left, will that get it going if I spray that in the air intake?

Cheers @mlkehunt I think I read the 8th gen is self-priming so though it would all be peachy.
Will try your suggestions. I've got some dpf cleaner left, will that get it going if I spray that in the air intake?
Worried I might have gone a full turn too far when putting the injectors back together and that's somehow blocked them. That seems unlikely though as a full turn looser wasn't tight at all!

self priming is not the same as self bleeding; the pump in your tank will prime your fuel system when you turn on the ignition but it will not bleed air out of it.
some air can be bled "naturally" through the return line, but if there is enough air in the system, and that air is in front of the injector and thus the return line, all it will do is compress, and the lack of pressure will not allow your injectors to fire and pass unspent fuel - or air through the return line
the hp pump simply cannot saturate your fuel rail and lines with enough pressure to actuate your injectors alone; you have to make sure diesel makes it all the way forward first

edit - don't worry about the torque/alignment just yet, do the simple stuff first :p

Personally I think you’ve knackered the injector, they’re extremely sensitive pieces of engineering especially the piezo system.

also dpf cleaners do not work unfortunately. Good luck with your project!

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good!

The dpf cleaner did nothing sprayed in the intake but with the dpf on the bench it cleaned it very well, although only tested for a couple of weeks in use.

Thanks for the comments, makes sense. Will try the suggestions.

So I tried brake cleaner, no joy. Cracked injector nuts and got fuel, tightened and then battery died on first attempt , reckon it was pretty old. Certainly not changed myself and had car 3 years.

Charged overnight and tried again. Decided to put on clear tubes into bottles rather than fuel return pipe to see what was going on. Primes with a few bubbles coming through then clears after 3 or 4 goes, when cranking foam comes through all 4 returns on the injectors. Really scratching my head now, is air getting in somewhere or are all the injectors screwed? Battery only last a couple of goes so maybe it's just not giving it enough power.

New battery on the way. Any ideas?

Thought I would update. Car is running after 3 new injectors, 1 refurbished and a refurbished high pressure pump.

The injectors were knackered and there was a few bits of metal under the fuel intake valve so got the pump checked out.

Just need to get the injectors coded and this doesn't seem that easy. Borrowed an autel obd device from the local garage but it didn't have the function and mechanic thinks maybe it's not worth bothering.

It’s definitely worth doing and I can do this if you want to book it in.