What's new

Do I need a re-gas?

Grayedout

Members
Reaction score
AC was re-gassed in 2018 and has been fine but used the car yesterday (29 degrees outside) and the AC temperature seemed to vary a little.

Took a good 10 mins to blow cold, with 16 degree set point, and was okay but could then feel the air get warmer without changing the set point. Then clicked the set point to Low and the air went stone cold.

Is this variation a sign of getting low on gas?

Made the decision and had it re-gassed yesterday and wow what a difference !!! Ice cold in seconds. Best £50 spent !
When I bought my 2004 tourer about 3 weeks ago, the air-con was not working & it was a faulty relay - £4 from eBay & a common failure apparently. Also the condenser was badly deteriorated, so I changed that for a Nissens one & had it regassed - all working well now.

When I bought my 2004 tourer about 3 weeks ago, the air-con was not working & it was a faulty relay - £4 from eBay & a common failure apparently. Also the condenser was badly deteriorated, so I changed that for a Nissens one & had it regassed - all working well now.

Yeah when I first bought mine it had been run for a long time with no gas and the compressor was knackered. I removed it, fitted a shorter belt and ran without it for over a year. Finally fitted a 2nd hand compressor and all good. I'm very conscious now to never let it run out of gas.

Our Accords have an Air con sight glass near the front left head light.

Its a peak into the what is going on with the air con system

If the stream is milky then the R134a gas is low and needs re-gassing.

It should run clear

This is a you tube vid back in 2017 for my AC sight glass.

I re-gassed it at Honda a few weeks afterwards and it restored its operation.

It needs re-gassing again today as the AC output is pretty weak now but still ok.
I will leave it for this summer and get it re-gassed for next year before the summer hits
4 years isnt too bad between re-gassing

I had mine regassed about 3 or 4 weeks a go as it's not been working since the winter. I have it on auto permanently and over winter the screen wasn't clearing as quickly as it used to.

I replaced the condenser and dryer 5 years a go and fitted another relay as that had blown. It worked perfectly until the winter.

When it was regassed a few weeks a go the machine said it was holding pressure ok and that there was 35g of gas instead of 600g. Filled it up and it was icey cold for 2 weeks. Then it started getting warmer and the passenger side was cooler than the drivers. It finally stopped blowing cold completely. I'm not sure if it has lost the gas or of it's something else. Very annoying in this weather though!

When it was regassed a few weeks a go the machine said it was holding pressure ok and that there was 35g of gas instead of 600g. Filled it up and it was icey cold for 2 weeks. Then it started getting warmer and the passenger side was cooler than the drivers. It finally stopped blowing cold completely. I'm not sure if it has lost the gas or of it's something else. Very annoying in this weather though!

I bought my Tourer with working air conditioning. Within two weeks I had exactly the same symptoms a few weeks later.

The engine oil was low when I got her, the coolant was also almost rust, so I changed both for the recommended versions and so far I've not seen the same cooling effect.

I suspect the compressor (or the engagement mechanism) has failed, since the dashboard ' air con on/off' makes no difference, but I have not really checked to see if it is just an electrical issue, fuse / relay or wiring but since I still get the passenger side running cooler than the drivers side ( and hotter in the winter ) then I suspect a matrix / thermostat fault.

I did change the pollen filter three years back,no difference. Perhaps there is a huge insect, puffin or velociraptor nesting in the pipes.