What's new

Drivers side heater blowing colder than Passenger side

GAZB

Members
Reaction score
Car
HONDA ACCORD CTDI
Having a few problems with my heater on my Accord Ctdi , the drivers side is blowing slightly warm air compared to the passenger side which is hot , the temperature is duel adjustable and when adjusted goes cold to hot however the drivers side central vent and the very far drivers side vent is only blowing very slightly warm air compared to the passenger sides which is very warm / hot air ?

It will be one of the blending flaps no doubt. There is a self test that will give you a code, google is your friend.

Tried to get into the built in diagnostic but can't do it , turn ignition on , press the auto button then the off button but nothing happens no matter how long I hold them ( am I doing something wrong )

Drivers side is blowing cold and now the passenger side seems a lot less warmer than it was

Id like to get this sorted before the cold frosty weather comes

GAZB said:
Tried to get into the built in diagnostic but can't do it , turn ignition on , press the auto button then the off button but nothing happens no matter how long I hold them ( am I doing something wrong )

Drivers side is blowing cold and now the passenger side seems a lot less warmer than it was

Id like to get this sorted before the cold frosty weather comes
that's because it says ........
1. Press and hold both the AUTO and DUAL buttons ......then start the engine
2. After the engine starts, release both the buttons

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/14575-heater-problems/?p=205023

Thanks mate whats best way to get into it , my 06 has Sat Nav , also noticed I'm losing a bit of water a week , not much just a cup full of coolant , Ill post codes up later

If the heater matrix is leaking then you'll probably have to remove the entire dash & centre console to get to the heater unit (heater matrix is inside the heater unit).

You might be able to get to the driver's side motor/flaps from the driver's side without having to remove the entire dash & centre console, but the steering column could be a big obstacle.

Ill have a look , I can smell coolant sometimes when I get out of the car but its not loosing much , if its heater matrix would that cause drivers side to blow cold ?

It's impossible to say really ......I wouldn't say that a "blending flap" stuck in the cold (or any) position is an absolute indicator of a leaking heater matrix

Just got codes after 10 mins of driving

01 12
02 05
03 04
04 69
05 08
06 99
07 F0
08 01
09 99
10 02

Last few days passenger side blower has gone from blowing hot to just warm air now

The engine isn't up to full operating temperature, it's only reached 69 C (sensor 4) ....that's the issue with 10 minute journeys in the 2.2 diesel. Also, make sure that A/C is OFF (if you have the sat-nav screen, go into manual mode to do that).

But the valve on the heater matrix might be stuck closed, or the heater matrix might be blocked.

Check visually that the valve is in the open position

OPEN POSITION
IMAG0555__zps0f8598e7.jpg

CLOSED POSITION
IMAG0556__zpsffadb3f7.jpg

If the valve looks open, check that it closes by setting the target temperatures to LO.

Other than that, get the engine up to operating temperature, make sure A/C is OFF, set target temperatures to HI, and check again.

Just checked valve opening and closing and it works okay , don't know if its got anything to do with it but the Air con metal piping was covered in white frost , ill check codes again later , I'm on work so will check after an hours running

Been driving for 2 hours now , codes are

01 26
02 04
03 02
04 79
05 14
06 99
07 99
08 00
09 76
10 04

01 26 in-car temperature ....26C ....nice and warm
02 04 ambient temperature ....i.e. outside = 4C
03 02 solar light (almost totally dark)
04 79 engine coolant temperature
05 14 evaporator outlet temperature ....14C with A/C OFF
06 99 driver's air mix opening ....set to give max heat out
07 99 passenger air mix opening ....set to give max heat out
08 00 vehicle speed ....car not moving
09 76 vent temperature (virtual) ....target temperature is HI
10 04 condenser pressure ....compressor is off

that all looks ok

next time the car is up to operating temperature, take the readings as before (A/C OFF, DUAL OFF, target temperatures HI), then set the target temperatures to LO and take the readings again, then set target temperatures back to HI and take the readings again.

01 26 this may not change much (if at all)
02 04 this may not change much (if at all)
03 02 this may not change much (if at all)
04 79 this may not change much (if at all)
05 14 this may not change much (if at all)
06 99 should change when driver's target temperature changes
07 99 should change when passenger's target temperature changes
08 00 this may not change much (if at all)
09 76 should change when target temperatures change
10 04 this may not change much (if at all)

the LO one looks strange, see comments

GAZB said:
A/C off , Dual off , Lo

16 in-car doesn't look so warm this time, only 16C
99 this should be 00 with driver's target set to LO
99 this should be 00 with passenger's target set to LO
95 this should be a different value with targets set to LO
best thing to do is to leave the heater in diagnostic mode with the driver's value displayed (06 which currently reads 99) and press the driver's temperature up and down, 15 times each, like this

up, up, up, up, up, up, up. up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up
down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down
up, up, up, up, up, up, up. up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up
down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down

See if the value 99 changes.

Try it with DUAL ON, then try it again with DUAL OFF (but keep A/C OFF)

[I really ought to do a youtube for this LOL]

Then it's working properly.

I'm beginning to think that the thread ***le is mis-leading, and it's either

1. blocked pollen filter
2. engine is 2.2 diesel and takes long time to warm up, and at 5C or below the heater uses the A/C as a heat pump. If the A/C is low on refrigerant, then you won't get much heat for a long time

Both of those issues apply to both sides, but it looks like everything is working as it should.

I'll replace the pollen filter , when I turn the heating off and leave it off for a while then turn it back on the passenger side blows very hot air but after about 10 seconds it blows just warm , driver side blows cool all the time no matter what

Hoping to get it sorted quick now , I'm a private hire taxi driver , Im having to wear a jacket all the time lol , and with cold weather on its way I'm going to struggle stoping the window screen freezing

Just take the pollen filter out and see if that makes any difference (you can get to it by swinging the glove compartment down).

The blower is on the passenger side with the pollen filter, and so is the A/C evaporator. So if the pollen filter is blocked, and/or if the car is trying to run the A/C in reverse (heat pump), then there is the possibility that what little heat there is, is coming out the passenger side. I'm only going on those results btw, which look ok.

Took Pollen filter out and it was dirty , passenger side was blowing hot however no change on drivers side still blowing cool

That is strange, going on the results, the motor for the flap on the driver's side is moving properly. I don't know if the flap can detach, other than that, maybe there's a blockage inside.
Are all parts on the driver's side blowing cold ?
What about the centre ?
What happens when "recirc" is on ?
And does it make any difference whether DUAL is ON or OFF ?

Drivers side is blowing just slightly warm nowhere near as hot as the passenger side, doesn't make any difference if it's on dual or recirc