What's new

Driveshaft wobble- but which one?

SCOTTP999

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 CTDI TOURER
Hi all

as you all know im not the most technical so please be kind!! My Accord CTDI has had the 'wobble' under acceleration for the past 2 years but its got worse recently (and my wheel alignment is out!) so I need to change one of them.

Now, I had a mechanic look at it who said it wasn't the shafts but looking on the forum then any play isn't obvious.

Its hard to tell which has gone........it gets worse as I steer left so does that mean its the left one that's worn?

advice would be useful- she has done 195k and never misses a beat (recon engine at 125k) but it feels like the front end is gonna fall apart soon!!

cheers

Scott when the car was on the ramp was there any sign of oil leaking from any side

The wobble could be a few things including shafts, but these aren't cheap. Did you check the (cheaper) routes first?

1. Tyres - are they balanced/symmetrical/balanced?
2. Alignment - when was this last done
3. Suspension check - no worn bushes, control arms, etc

Seeing as the mechanic checked and couldn't see driveshaft wear, doesn't mean that it's definitely not the driveshafts BTW, just that it's the most expensive. Normally the passenger side goes.

Hi Brett

I didn't see anything obvious but I will have another look today as I can jack it up- could it be the seals?

Jason

Ive had the wheels balanced and checked and it made no difference
Also replaced the big bushes on the lower suspension arms 3 months ago as well
Im going to get the wheel alignment done next week mate and try to eliminate that

Ill get him to get it on the ramp again- I should have sorted it 2 years ago but just got used to driving it like that!! its just got worse in past 3 weeks :(

With the age and mileage of the old bird I would have to plump for an aftermarket shaft unfortunately if it is that :unsure:

thanks for the quick reply- ill let you know how it goes

cheers :D

Sure, if the lower control arms are ok, are the upper control arms tight?

Does the tyre wear look even?

Any knocking when turning on a full lock? (cv joint)

Do you only get it on acceleration? It it worse a WOT versus say 3/4 throttle? If you clutch-in during the acceleration do the wobble disappear immediately?

Aftermarket shafts are available, but some swear by Honda only parts but others did ok with ADL parts.

Hiya

Latest update!!

* Drivers side ball joint need replaced
* Both control arms are tight
* No knocking
* Uneven tyre wear on both sides at the edges

* The wobble is worse at low revs when accelerating- feels like the front end is shaking itself to bits! Flooring it and raising the revs makes it better. There is steering wobble but suspect this is due to the wheel alignment and ball joint issues.

Gonna change the ball joint and get the wheel alignment done and see if that helps although the vibration feels like its passenger side!

No rattling from the gearbox on idle or when clutch in/out so thinking it isn't the DMF.

Will keep you posted!

When I was exploring what the issue was with mine... My mechanic put in on the ramp and drove it up to 70 mph - you could see the passenger wide wheel bounce arounf but the drivers side was not moving... I'm aving my passenger drive shaft replaced this week.

Check the intermediate shaft bearing on the driver's side. A small amount of wear here can cause a big vibration even if the CV joints on that shaft are perfectly OK. Once the shaft is off the car this is an easy thing to replace. The bearing is hard to find but I got one from here.

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_part_number_search_A10.php?partdes=91057-SH3-008

Costs 50 quid delivered and I'd say is worth changing as a matter of course if the shaft is off the car.

Well finally after many months tolerating the car shaking itself- got a non-original shaft for under £100 and now the wobbling and shaking has gone!! it was the passenger side and tried all the cheap fixes first before giving in!! I believe the shafts are originals which aint bad for a 10 year old car that's done 197k!! :)