What's new

Drivetrain vibration at high speed

konalight

Reaction score
Car
Tourung 2.2 Type S
Hello fellow enthusiasts, I have a 2012 2.2 S type touring model. A couple of months ago I had dreadful drivetrain/cowl shudder as from 50 mph (low frequency high amplitude shudder). I knew that the flywheel was on its last legs (at 120.000miles). So I had it changed by the dealer. A new Aisin made DMF + new OEM clutch + CRB was installed + gearbox oil change was done. The dealer mentioned that the CVJ of the right driveshaft also had gone bad. Which was the cause for the low frequency high amplitude drivetrain/cowl shudder as from 50 mph according to his ***essment. He mentioned also that the harmonic damper was shot. So I agreed to replace the left and right driveshafts (better to do this in pairs) and the HD. The low frequency drivetrain/cowl shudder was significantly reduced, but is still noticable above 90 mph. The vibration originates in the drivetrain (not the motor or flywheel) because the vibration remains when the clutch is engaged. Does anybody have an idea what could cause this low frequency drivetrain shudder?

Worth looking at the lower control arm bushes, specifically the large round horizontal ones, if these go soft from wear,vibration will follow.
I know this from a 7th Gen that I replaced the bushes on and it made a huge difference.
I have new spurious ones from TRW to fit to my 8th Type S Tourer when I get some decent weather to do so.