Members
Reaction score
Car
CL9
Found this on TSXclub

To reset your ECU

- turn off radio
- turn off Heater / A/C / fan
- turn key to acc on position (just before the engine turns over)
- Press gas pedal to the floor for 10 seconds
- turn key to off position do not remove key take foot off the gas pedal
- wait for 10 seconds and then start car

Is there any thruth in this? Somehow dont buying it but maybe someone (CJ ;) ) knows about that.

Interesting, but when would something like this be needed?

Would not disconnecting the battery for a few minutes have the same effect?

What the ..... no surely not, whats with the acclerator to do with it?

This is how I do it:

Be sure engine is cold

Remove neg battery cable

Remove Fuses ECU and Backup

Turn off all the things in car

After 10mins (after power has drained from ECU) start car and let idle til at operating temperate

Done.

On drive by-wire cars you can use the pedals for this sort of thing. On my tranny you use the key position, brake and accelerator pedals to reset the service light...

I am interested to know what an ECU reset is used for?

My bad I saw the pic of his car and thought it was a 6th gen ;) Wich the post above i gave would have worked. But he has a 7th gen so yeah your right Mr D R

Generally resetting the ECU clears fault codes that arent there or ones that have been fixed etc. It can also be used if you added some bolt on mod.

More involved use is resetting the ECU to different weather (summer winter), the ECU does this on its own but it takes it time, resetting does it straight away.

Thanks Marcus - makes sense now...

Thanks to you Luka as well !!

How would this affect a remap? Is it just things like fuel consumption, avg speed, etc that are reset?

No idea why anybody would want to reset the ECU to be honest. They are self learning anyway so will keep adapting to the way you drive.

Resetting an ECU will not wipe any maps off. Maps are permanent and can only be re-written by way of a new flash update.

as fahad said ecu are self learning on older cars the method was to pull the ecu fuse or disconnect the battery